The answering of the Qs of the day

Discussion in 'A+' started by hbroomhall, Jan 6, 2006.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

All hail to Boyce for posting the Qs of the day. I have had a little fun trying to work out the answers.

However, one thing keeps nagging at me. A number of people who answer openly say they are looking the answers up. Now my experience in the exam is that you can't do that - it has to be from memory. I have been answering from memory, and have got some wrong.

So surely those who look the answers up are fooling themselves?

(/me dives for a LART shelter) :eek:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Harry - I couldn't agree more (and I admit I used Google on one, particularly mystical Boyce special - however I mentioned that in my answer). So far, I have adopted a policy of I answer if I know, or am guessing, but not if I have Googled it (without saying so).

However, if I'm reading your post correctly, then I think that as long as our Members realise that when taking the real exam, that no external information is available, then our job here is effectively done. We can't really stop folks from looking on Google to answer the questions.

If I've taken your post the wrong way, then sorry Dude - please correct me as always :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I am way I think it's good that people can look the answers up, it gives them the chance to find out why it is correct and learn.

They should say, and even post a hidden link to how they answered it though.

Just my 2p! 8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im the same.. if i know i know.. otherwise guess.. to be honest for the A+ i wouldnt google... :twisted: too busy googleing RIS and DHCP questions now! :p

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

I Agree with everyone so far in a way.

I like a most of the others used google to find the Answer to Boyce's NRZI bombshell. And as he himself admited I thought I'd missed a huge chunk of the A+. Google provided the answer but also the explanation which can only help people studying for these exam.

But do agree if you use it say so, don't take google's credit he knows where you live and he'll send the boyz round.

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You read my post quite correctly. My view is the same - you can't stop people looking the answer up - but I just felt it was worth saying that you need to realize what is implied by looking it up.

And in a way it is good that people who *do* have to look it up say so!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think it matters a jot whether people reach for their A+ book, a cram-session, google or any other means at their disposal. The main point is that people either know or they know how to find out the answers. Learning to research to find the answers to problems helps heaps in the real world too. You really must have these googling skills to be able to hack it these days.

If I use google or any other means to research the topic it takes time and effort. After I have put in that effort I am enlightened. I have a much better idea of what the question is about.

If you know the answer off the top of your head then good for you! I know lots of things but I do not know everything. The fact is that whilst we are answering these questions we are sat at a computer. A computer is a tool for research and it should be used as such.

Clearly in a real exam there is no click here to browse the net button but this is not a real exam, it is a bit of fun designed to help people study and to point them in the right direction to research topics that may be tested in the exam.

Google is your friend, do not be ashamed to use it, for the benefit of your own understanding.

Sure you can say things like *this is off the top of my head* or I wasn't sure so I did a bit of googling and came up with this. It really doesn't matter. What does matter is that you have learned something not that you chose the correct answer.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am please that my q's are making people think about the answer and also learning from them, as i am :biggrin .

If i were taking part (which i am in Si's N+ QOW) i would have a good think, come back if need be. If i still couldn't think of an answer research it.

Glad you like them :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT