The All New MCDST Study Blog - 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RickUK, Oct 14, 2008.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm that's an odd question? IRDA only works in line of sight and even then it must not be in strong sunlight! Normally on winxp and vista the device is detected although there are settings in the control panel!
    and to map a netwok drive you would go through 'My computer' right click on mouse button to display a menu! seems a bit of a pants question! IMHO8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Yep, its in the advanced connections bit, Microsoft like you to know several ways of doing things, or more to the point, THEIR way of doing things, for example clicking run and tryping eventvwr (my preferred way) may not get you a mark, but using an MMC and adding a snap in for local computer, or by right clicking my computer and clicking manage or going the control panel admin tools (both in classic and the category view) way could all come up in exams and get you into event viewer (on a question or sim), so best to know how to get to things different ways.

Also did you know if you click my computer, in the top left corner will be the my computer icon, on there will be options such as manage as well so that may or may not come up on a test

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t listen to this “contractor”, just talking BS as usual! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Thanks a lot for your answers to my question!!!

Next one....

What do you reckon folks - shall I convert my basic C disk to a dynamic disk in the name of general p*ssing about for experience's sake? I find terms like "striped disk" and "spanned disk" rather meaningless at the moment.

PS: This would be occurring on my only laptop. I don't want to do anything that's risky..

WIP: 70-271
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

you should really have another pc for doing all the lab stuff,i wouldn't use a laptop at all,i'm using a spare 500gb hard drive for practice space,we have to use microsoft virtual pc as we need to work with various operating systems all at one time,therefore you need a lot of spare hard drive space,and create multiple partitions using virtual pc,this is all in chapter 2 and chapter 3.

It may be done differently in different books,i'm using official microsoft training books myself.

Striped is for raid, which isn't mentioned at the start of the mcdst, how many chapters into the book are you to reach raid?You must be beyond the fourth chapter already ?

I should say you won't need 500gb spare space,up to 100gb spare hard drive space could be useful though.

By chapter 3 you are working with windows server and two windows xp partitions at the same time.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hello Del - good to see that I'm not alone in going for the 70-271.

You hit on a bit of a nerve there by mentioning the book. The truth is that I have based most of my study to date by watching the Nuggets video, doing some mock (non-braindump) exams over and over again and playing around with the settings on my XP Pro computer.

I have delved into the book from time to time and did at one point make it to Chapter Five, but I haven't been as rigorous as I probably should have been. I will try to change that in days to come.

This weekend will, as it stands, end up being a Visual Basic weekend, as I need to do some study for my Open University course. Hopefully that will freshen me up ready for prolonged exposure to the MS Press Book from Monday..

Regards
    Rick

7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

the way i'm talking about the course is just the way we are being taught it,other people may do it differently.

We had 3 operating systems in place all open at one time to teach us how to work in workgroups and getting used to domains and user accounts,and permissions within those user accounts,this was all in chapter 3 .
    I find this quite a complex chapter and i'm trying to understand it all.
    Practising it at home helps a lot as i can slowly go through it.

chapter 4 is quite easy,and is full of stuff many users would learn by accident or browsing around during the first year of using windows xp.

Nugetts are excellent i'd agree,i find them too fast at times myself.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  8. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hi Del

Thanks for your post and sorry for my delay in answering.

I will get into the book shortly but I found so much of the material new when I tried reading it that I lost heart.

I have my own way of studying which isn't particularly cheap but it suits me. I have purchased mock exams from Measureup and Selftestsoftware. I go over their questions over and over again and ensure that I understand why each answer is wrong and each answer is right. I also try to ensure that I have tried out each possibility on my computer. I do browse the book from time to time and the good news is that it doesn't look nearly as intimidating as it did during the summer.

If you're interested in purchasing from either vendor I mention, Measureup are much better value and have better functionality. I have found out about a company called Boson, run by one of this website's most esteemed members, but unfortunately they don't have questions for 70-271.

I do agree with you about Nuggets, that the demonstrations can be fast. When he first covered winnt.sif, I thought that he was just showing off. I didn't realise that we were expected to learn what he was doing!

Regards
    Rick

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ah, you flatter me. :) I don't run Boson... I simply create content (and train others to create content) for them. :)

Ever since the new owners (from the golden days of the "other place") purchased Boson, we've been focused on creating new content, so we haven't gone back to do any of the older stuff (yet). If Josh and I were to create products for them, then in reality, our writing would be competing against... our writing (at the "other place"). We believe that the difference in quality will be MUCH more noticeable when comparing our "new stuff" to our competitors' "new stuff". :)

That said... it is my hope that we can create products for those older exams before they are retired.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hi - I had a decent end to the week, listening to a lot of CBT Nuggets, recording some new notes and listening to them. I then decided that I would have a look again at MS Press and found myself giving up after a page and a half. I really have quite a mental block here. I could really do with talking with somebody who works in IT Support and perhaps getting more hands on experience.

I was supposed to sit the exam today but I have rescheduled - this time until December 20.

I am not sure what the next step is. I am moving house to Bristol tomorrow. I really need a job and I think that I will try and make sure that I get a job from now on as soon as possible. Hopefully this will be within an office environment and I will be able to talk with an IT Support department.

I am also thinking of getting hold of Mike Meyers' A+ All-in-one book. It is currently available at under £19. It might help me get into the subject a bit more, beyond memorising Microsoft propaganda!

Regards
    Rick

11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

*does the bump*

How's the studying going, Rick?

Still on course for sitting it on the 20th?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I started last week but had several days where i had other commitments

I just completed chapter 4 this morning and done the questions in the book (Ms press that is)

Seem to be getting 100% so far, little woried because i dont really know what the final exam is going to be like. As a SAD sufferer i often worry about the unknown and things i have little control over.

I'll try the questions on the CD when i have completed the book, to see if i am on the right track.

I'll probably get the nugget vids and some practise exams later as well

Sometimes i worry about knowing stuff word for word, which isn't always necessary, but does help.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots