The 'Administrator Aura'

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Tegal, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

Has anyone else ever had that thing where a user can't get their computer to do something, you go over to watch what they're doing and it does it immediately, despite protestations from the user that it's exactly what they did before?

I have this theory that some people just affect computers/hardware for the better, while others have a very definite negative impact.

In the office in which I work there was a girl who seemed to be able to scramble the insides of a hard drive just by looking at it. Thing is that we have hot desks in the office that multiple people use. She could have all sorts of problems, but when the next user logged on it was good as gold (most of the time).

Actually my suspicion is that computers are really sentient and enjoy tormenting hapless users, they only get worried when they know that the administrator is watching who knows EXACTLY where to stick a hot soldering iron for maximum effect!

Certifications: BEng, MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

LOL - couldn't agree more, Tegal :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice one - yes - it is an effect I've noticed! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Funny but i have the same effect on women... I go near em and they run screaming as if somethings happened to em...... :cry:

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

Maybe it's the hot soldering iron ... ? :eek:

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Or maybe your wearing the fake version of Lynx...

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Tegal, I have real first-hand experience of this. I used to have this graphics/music demo on the Amiga called Jesus on E's. Everytime I put it on to show my friend, it wouldn't work. It totally baffled me. Once, to confirm I wasn't completely crazy, after trying it with my friend there with no suucess, I put it on the moment he went out my front door and it worked without a hitch :confused2 . Totally bizarre.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Should that be "Lynux" ? :wink:

(still hungover, so not actually sure if that's as funny as I first thought ... :oops: )

9. Baba O'Riley

The jury's still out here mate :D .

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I already got me coat ....:oops:

11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Dunno about ya coat m8... with that joke i'd buy a plane ticket and eave the country!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I've never seen this computer behavior as "administrator aura" as the only computers I've ever seen display this behavior have had Windows installed on them. So, I've always seen it as "Windows" behavior. You know. Kind of like Steve Ballmer. Really unpredictable.... :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

Ffreeloader has a good point. Never noticed it with Mac's and we've got a media suite here that's mac based. It is only PC's and more specifically Windows (not much experience with Lynux :) is that the OS that attracts all the babes?). Perhaps that's also because Mac users tend to be a bit more savvy than your average PC user? Hands up anyone who knows a clueless PC user ... hands up anyone who knows a clueless Mac user?

Still I stand by the aura theory even if it is only Windows (works over the phone sometimes too). I suppose in some small way it's like making Bill Gates cower before you ... sort of.

14. Baba O'Riley

There are some unkind people that might say that's all of them :twisted: !

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

beat me to it! :p

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't know a clued up Mac user :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. ffreeloader

Really? The Mac users I know are much more knowledgable then the average windows user.

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That may be the case for you Freddy, but here in Oz I don't see many Macs and the ones I do see, have clueless users :biggrin

The funny thing is that when I sit at one, I am also transformed into a clueless user :blink

I do intend to become more conversant with them now, especially after my recent iMac experience, which I posted yesterday.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry Freddy, but in my capacity of tech support in the last 3 years, I have found them equally capable of ineptitude and idiocy as any Windows user. I think you might find the scales might balance out even on this one :)

20. ffreeloader

Well, I guess I just haven't met the clueless ones then. All the Mac users I know of are pretty computer literate.