That Friday Feeling

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 21, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

So, the end of another week appears and my mind starts to wander. I thought I'd share these ripples throug my brain cells and then ask what you're thinking of at the end of the week :p

I remember the ad - "Thank Crunchie it's Friday!" - but I don't feel like chocolate today. I've had a head cold for a couple of weeks which is just starting to clear but the annoying cough remains.

Feeling groggy makes studying difficult and it's hard to get motivated (especially over ITIL :rolleyes: ). I've moved the exam re-sit twice now and am determined to sit it on Monday.

Still, there's been a promising job prospect this week and I spent several hours getting the application form completed so it was "just right"; well I hope so, anyway.

My morning delights have been the weekly email newsletter from the BCS and I did actually read a couple of the blogs and the other weekly subscription to the FHM newsletter which was far more entertaining. Also, the morning trawl round a few forums including this one (which always delights).

The rest of the day will focus on trawling round the jobsites yet again, bunging some washing in, some ITIL definitions and probably the joy of going food shopping.

Life is so exciting ! :p

Still I suppose I could be getting bawled at by users 'cos the mail server is down or struggling with a flaky internet connection :ohmy

So, my friends, how exciting is your Friday going to be ? For those in the doldrums like me I'll send you the FHM email if you like - just drop me a PM :wink:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I can't say I envy you, I had the head cold around a month ago, not nice! Best of luck with the ITIL Monday though! It'll be worth it when you pass :)

My Friday/Weekend is a little bit like this...

I have been planning infrastructure improvements all week; getting quotes, looking at hardware, software, getting quotes again, talking to the MD, getting more quotes and today, is the day, that I get to order the bits I've gone for. Im not sure if its sad that I actually get pretty excited ordering new bits for work? Lol.

I have also just ordered myself a new work computer, a little Quad Core, a little 4Gb RAM and 2x 500Gb disks to play with.. cant wait.

Work on the whole is pretty quiet, work there to be done, but no nagging users with problems, I guess "That Friday Feeling" has spread across the office. :p

Weekend is fully booked as well, Topgolf tonight (Chigwell site, incase there are any golfers onboard) and then tomorow im off to sunny Norwich with the whole family for a get together. (Whole family is in the region of 30-40 strong! Thats one big chinese bill). My new girlfriend will be thrown in the pit with the family, she's only met my parents and sister so far, I think shes a little scared but that adds to my fun! :) Drive back Sunday and get ready for another week (which includes Payday and our Christmas party woohoo!!)

:P

Great thread though, will be interesting to see the variety of people's activities. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

I just got told to goto hell by an angry customer. It was amusing :)

No actual concrete plans for the weekend yet. I suppose my clothes'll need washing :blink
    Alcohol abuse tomorrow night?
    Maybe some xmas shopping, and I have a 3 day weekennnnnnd :D, roll on monday and a good 4 hours or so of FABLE 2
    Oh and my girlfriend is threatening to take me to the hospital tomorrow to get my [man troubles] seen to if I cant peel it back far enough by tomorrow morning :blink

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Today is officially Saturday, as I'm on a Dubai weekend, and starting work at 5am Sunday.

Yesterday I discovered Doom (first, classic, best) in an old archive box at work and just *had* to put it on my PC so I could game through lunch.

I spent the afternoon fixing stuff in AD, so didn't really get in the weekend mood. This was just as well, as last night consisted of cooking dinner, paying bills, and having a bath. lol.

This morning, I am having a quick play on the interweb before doing some shopping. Mine and Martin's parents are having dinner with us tonight (at my Mum and Dad's) so I'm going to pick up a nice bottle of Red, and get some more yeast and flour to bake some bread for the starters.

Recently re-discovered home baking. Instead of normal bread today, I'm going to mix the dough with tomato juice to make a more sweet bread. Hopefully it will complement the soup I make quite well.

After that, I have an assignment due for the OU, so I will do some work on that (quite ahead of schedule) before doing some housework and maybe a little Mandarin.

If I weren't on a Dubai weekend, the pub would probably be at least mildly involved at some point - but with the crazy hours I have to get up, it's not worth the risk.

Tomorrow ("Sunday") will consist of ironing, whilst watching the football.

Amidst all of this, I will carry my notebook around with me - that gets my ramblings and thoughts, mainly novel-orientated.

The most recent weird thought was another musing on time perception. For example, if the life span of an animal is 12 years, and they mature to adulthood after two years, is their perception of time slower than ours for this adjustment to happen? (there's probably a scientific answer to this to flame it into non-existence!)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Passing my friday reading TheCodeProject at the mo ! Not sure how it compares to FHM !

No plans for weekend, maybe some exercise and MST121.

6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

very nice dude, very nice.

They are going to snip snip snip my friend ;) That means no sexy time or knuckle children for a week or you risk pulling your stitches out ;) haha

Yea friday is dead here,

Some geezer who doesn't even work here just told me and the other IT to go away after we knocked onto his room to get into the server room ( the server is about to fall over), so we all pissed off and bitching about him.

Weekend will be equally uneventful, same shti different week tbh, pay day next friday, so usual 5 days benders in a city i've never been to before haha.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Had a look but the pics weren't quite as appealing ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Don't knock it . . . I was aroused :oops:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:shocked that's cruel! :tongue

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

MMmmmm...nothing like the smell of bread baking...

11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Today I finally got my hands on a machine I wanted to flatten, as it had a virus that was removed a few weeks back but still seemed strange to me despite Mcafee saying fine, so been working on that mostly.

Handed in my notice on Monday and my colleagues were informed yesterday. There seem to be a few people who are genuinely sorry to see me go. Really nice feeling to think that In just a few months I had made a good enough impression to be missed. Had a really lovely email from current manager about it also :oops:

That's about it really - probably watch a dvd with husband tonight and have an early one as couldn't get to sleep last night.

12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Reformat :p

Sounds like they're genuinely going to miss you which is quite nice. I had no idea you were leaving your current workplace though! Did I miss a previous post?! How come?

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's still morning here and I've not even showered yet (it's ok, you can't smell me over the Internet).

Late yesterday afternoon (these things always happen late on Thursday), my counterpart and I were handed a high-priority, four-week writing assignment (and of course, I'll be there just for two weeks of it). Most of the people we need to access as resources either "work from home" on Fridays or are in meetings all day on Fridays. We discovered that one of our resources for information is only in the office part-time due to medical issues. It's going to be busy and frustrating today.

I didn't sleep much Wednesday night anticipating handing in my notice and last evening, I taught class. Between teaching class, taking one of the students home, getting home myself and unwinding, I didn't actually go to bed until around 11 (which is late for me). Got up at about 5:15 this morning as usual, so I'm feeling pretty groggy (and I was doing so well cutting down on coffee). I'd like to jump over the next 12 hours and just veg.

Saturdays are always busy since I'm at my congregation most of the day. Gonna see if Ryan and I can get together on Sunday, but need to check with the missus to see what her plans are. Between our two schedules, I haven't had an actual conversation with her in a couple of days.

At least I'll have a couple of (unpaid) days off (Thursday and Friday) next week because of Thanksgiving. My daughter will be home from school and I really do love barbecuing the turkey.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

One of the more quieter weekends for me this week but still reasonably hectic. Tonight will consist of meeting up with my friend who is the best man at our friends wedding in Las Vegas in December. I've a book called 'Best Book Of Drinking Games Ever' and he wants to try a few of them out at the pub tonight while we plot our groom-to-be's demise at his bucks night next weekend!

Tomorrow is the annual Taste Of Cayman festival, gf is working at it so I get her free ticket and we get a free case of beer (hopefully Sparks) (result!).

Sunday a friend of ours is a professional photographer and just bought some new fangled gear he needs to try out so offered to give us a free photo shoot so he can test his gear. I get the feeling I'm going to look like something out of the new Spring/Summer 2009 Matalan catalog...

Example:

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hey, you know what I meant :p

It is nice. No you didn't miss anything. Nothing wrong with the current place - in fact I love it, but, I was recently offered an opportunity to go for a role elsewhere and the role seems totally suit my career plans - plus the company is a little bigger and the role more 'secure' (current company is having to be very tight with things at the moment) so I'd have been silly not to take it!

17. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Grats on the offer, it always pays to keep your eye on the job market even if you are happy where you are!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Ah I see. Well the very best of luck in the new position, let us know how it goes! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the congrats both.

Ooops...

:offtopic

Have a good Friday / weekend! :)

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wrapping up a product today, so this is likely my only visit of the day... gotta get back to it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!