That BT / Virgin Media guy job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Haroon Mustafa, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Hello

Whats the job title of the all hands on work some engineers do?

Normally with their vans at an exchange box or at your work installing cabling in the ground.

Any ideas? :)

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Telecoms Engineer isn't it?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

wondered the same thing.. when I've spoken to them on the phone they say a network engineer will be out to fit your router.. but does that really qualify as a network engineer?

4. Haroon Mustafa

Defiantly a con when working in IT! I work on a service desk as an analyst. but I get called a technician, engineer, analyst, wizard guy.. it goes on. lol I'll go with telecoms engineer as it sounds more like the role I'm thinking off. but I'll keep an eye on the other 1.9 million names for the same role

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

At one point OpenReach started referring to them as 'Boost' Engineers because they were retraining them to be telecoms and IP ready.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Adult Website Enablement Engineer do you mean?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Internally in BT they are called Customer Service Engineers, I believe they advertise these jobs as such as well. Nearly became one some 5 years ago.

Virgin probably calls them sth else, anyway Virgin guys doesn't have access to BT exchanges, no reason they would need to.

Haroon Mustafa likes this.
  8. Haroon Mustafa

True Virgin media cannot access an exchange box. I was trying to pin point the role i was thinking of :D

9. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

I worked at an ISP
    I was a Tier Two Network Support Engineer
    "That BT/Virgin Media guy" who go out to site are field engineers.

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  10. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

Tis true. As much as I dislike my former company, I think they got it correct when they call them the blanket "field engineer"

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  11. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Titles depend on the organization

But I presume it is something like Telecommunications Engineer or Field Engineer

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've never felt obliged to use my employers job titles on my CV, seems entirely optional, just put a realistic title and description. Don't lie or exaggerate, but if your job title is 'fluffy bunny technician' when in fact you are something else, you are well within your rights to change it so you are employable.

13. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Only problem I can see with that is when the new employer gets a reference from your former employee and they have a different job title to what you said.
    The new employer may not mind or you could explain but they also could just assume you are lying.

Certifications: A few.
  14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never been a real issue for me, in the 1990's there were a lot stupid job titles so it was a particular problem, less so now. Its each persons choice, but after 22 years in the industry, I view my CV as marketing material, its not simply a factual document, presentation is important. You can actually help the recruiters and hiring managers by putting relevant content that highlights your role and skills, rather than simply copying a standard title.