Thank you for allowing me the pleasure of your company.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by juice142, Nov 14, 2005.

1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hello everyone.
    You ask for some background material - this may take a while, and I would hope that you are patient, but you did ask!
    The first opportunity that I had to interact with a 'computer' was when my Dad brought one home from his work (around 1975?). This had the game 'pong' on it. Wow! well it was then. Next thing it was a BBC B. Anyone out there remember playing the text version of Lord of The Rings? And the interminable wait for the damn thing to load off an audio tape? Only for it to suggest after 20 minutes that there was a syntax error? I have to say that I got bored with the whole thing very quickly and got into building fast, silly motorcycles (not necessarily in that order) and also got myself into an automotive engineering company as a trainee around the same time, I live near Coventry in the UK, it's our (original) MoTown. Well... it's like this. A little bit later on (late '80s, early '90s) there was this thing called CNC - Computer Numerical Control. Well, the company that I worked for dragged itself into the late 1960s and bought some of this equipment (you need to have worked in the British automotive industry to understand quite how behind the times they were/are). And once again I was bitten. Anybody out there remember Fanuc 0m? 0t? And the programming languages used? I have a City & Guilds, amongst many others, (not sure how that translates to USA stuff) in AutoCad. Not AutoCadx, you understand, just AutoCad.
    Now I find myself having binned all that silly stuff, and having completed a BSc(Hons) degree, in a situation where I find myself doing the one thing that I enjoy. Sitting in front of a monitor and trying to make sense of the World.
    And aiming for an A+. Then a Network+. Then MCSA. Then MCSE.
    Hello, you lot.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, juice142. Welcome to CertForums. Let us know how we can lend a hand in your studies. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi juice142 - thanks for taking the time on your intro. I'm sure all the help, friendship and encouragement you need to reach your stated goals are here :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Good evening tripwire45,
    Thanks for your immediate response!
    How's this for a first question then, although I'm sure this is the wrong forum (I've been a lurker for a while so I think I'm aware of a little etiquette!). I've got the Mike Meyers A+ CD Roms which are great. I'm sort of passing all the practice exams (that I can find for free!) with a 60-80% score. Should I buy the book or just risk it and see what CompTIA throws at me? I'll be honest and say that my first degree is in Psychology, my dissertation used Conversation Analysis (hey, language) and several of the questions asked by CompTIA are so ambiguous it defies belief! How's this (from memory): A user reports a problem with a printer. The printer prints too large a font and the result of the print does not fit to the page ie. it comes out sideways. Is this problem a: environmental; b:user; c:software: d:hardware. Well the answer is that the settings set by the previous user are still in place, so it's not the current user. The settings were set so it's not the software. The other answers are too silly to contemplate. It's answer e:a recruitment problem - the company are employing people who shouldn't be allowed to touch themselves let alone anything that may be plugged in to a power source. But there isn't the option of :e.
    Or is it me???!!!

6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for your welcome chaps and chapesses - if you'll forgive me I do tend to go on a bit...
    That's cut that one short!

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

First of all, the question was awful. I don't know where you are getting these questions but even if they are free, you're being short changed. Also, if you are passing these mock questions with scores between 60 and 80%, I don't believe you'd pass the real thing at this point. The actual exam is much harder.

Secondly, could I ask you to break up your paragraphs a bit? Trying to read one, large block of text is somewhat difficult. Thanks.

Get a book. Try this link for suggestions:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread3707.html

I highly recommend the Mike Meyers book mentioned in that thread. It has been widely used by members here with much success.

As I'm sure you realize, it would probably be best to post your A+ questions in our A+ forum here:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

If you read the threads already posted there, I'm sure that a number of your questions are already answered by other members. Also, one of our mods Boyce is posting QOTDs (Questions of the Day). in that forum and I think you'll find the quality of his questions better than the one you just posted.

Cheers. :)

-Trip

8. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Thanks Trip,

I'll take your advice, not only on the silly questions but on the book too.

I'm not quite used to the way that your text format works yet - this is the first forum I've ever posted on or joined come to that.

Does this work for everyone?

Not too blocky?

Sorry about the previous formatting... let me know whether this works please! Thanks for your time.

J.

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Much better! :p

10. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

See, I've only been here five minutes and I'm learning already!

They're still open you know Si, Fancy a quick half?

Cheers!

J.

11. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

greetings and salutations to you juice!

one of the most interesting first threads i've read in a while!

hope you find the help and advice you're after! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Much better, Juice. Thanks. :)

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum Juice, nice intro 8)

I too prefer text broken up into paragraphs, it makes it much easier to read and find where you were if you get interrupted or take a break to make a cuppa :biggrin

If you are quoting actual questions from other sources please bear in mind that firstly they may be copyrighted and secondly, if they are from an exam, the posting of them may infringe the NDA (non disclosure agreement). We have to play safe, so it is always best not to pose the actual question verbatim but to paraphrase it in such a way that it can be considered a completely different question albeit asking the same thing.

Good to have you on board :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Pedrito

Pedrito Nibble Poster

Welcome Juice142. :beers2

:tongue 8)

I sit in front of this monitor to try to *keep-up* with the world! :biggrin

WIP: A+; N+; MCSE
  15. jayr5

jayr5 New Member

:cry:

Does anyone know if you can retake a mcp if you have failed once.

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sure you can. You're not barred forever if you fail and everyone fails a test or two. I think there is a certain waiting period after you've failed twice (30 days comes to mind) but I can't swear to it.

EDIT: Oh...and please try not to double post. I noticed that you created another thread with the same question in it. If you have a question, just post it in one place, preferably the most relevant forum. It'll get answered. :wink:

17. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Juice :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290