Thank Goodness for Second Chances

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by deadzebra, Sep 3, 2008.

1. deadzebra

deadzebra Bit Poster

Failed ICND2 yesterday:cry:- 748/825 which is rubbish. Somehow I got to question 30/49 with less than 15 minutes left - perhaps I fell asleep. Need to get my speed up, especially with being able to quickly work out ACL's.

Some of you here have finished this exam will pently of time remaining - how do you do it? do you even read the questions!:blink

Booked again (for FREE!) on the 23rd Sep. I will pass it next time. :D

Good luck to everyone about to take this exam and well done to those who have already passed it.

Nick.

Certifications: CCENT, Network+, MCP, SCSP, BTEC
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Better luck next time mate :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Two things:

1) Learn to subnet. In your head. Then learn to do it faster. Make it second nature to you. You don't have time to convert addresses manually by calculating bits. If I say /28, you should immediately think, "255.255.255.240, 16 addresses per subnet (14 hosts)".

2) Real-world experience. This is why I don't recommend people take the CCENT until they're already starting to work with Cisco devices. Like with subnetting, you need to be so comfortable with the CLI that it becomes second nature to you, to the point where you don't have to think about how to log in or what command to issue... you just do it.

Mastering these two things will help you improve your speed dramatically. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

The best bit of advice I can give is to just give it your best shot, in this exam im normally quicker at subnetting than i was on the day, its different subnetting in comfort as opposed to having that little bit of extra pressure, and also i made a silly mistake on one of the sims, which i checked, corrected, (this was basically putting in IP address in the wrong place)

Most of the questions are straightforward in a sense where there not trying to trick you, just make sure you know how something works or the correct syntax, for me the biggest questions where the sims, which before you may see repeated, its just a case of nowing how to get information from the command line, using the various commands

I reckon 13days, and hour or two revision per night and you should pass no worries, best of luck.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I like your attitude, don't give up and am sure you'd nail this next time round. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

There's some good advice above ^^
    Don't underestimate subnetting. If that isn't what's slowing you down, then what is? :blink

Best of luck on your next attempt.

7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im must admit this is the most pressured exam i have ever taken, the one thing that constantly went through my mind was there are no second chances, so i think you definitely need to go into this exam with a clear head and a positive attitude

Id recomment listening to some relaxing musinc before hand, as i dont think the indie/emo/goth/metal that was played in the bar i sat in while waiting to take my exam got me in anything like a responsible test taking mood (and yes i drank coke lol)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's the wrong attitude to take - that'll stress most people out to no end. In truth, there ARE second chances... and third chances, and fourth chances, should you need them. Sure, it costs money each time you take the exam, but you're not banned from taking them multiple times. So don't beat yourself up and defeat yourself before you've even started. Relax, and go into the exam confidently, knowing that you've studied, and the best you can do is the best you can do. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!