1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TFT monitor - flickering problem ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakamoko, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

I just bought an Acer AL1714 17" TFT, and the prob is that for about the first 20-30 min after starting up, it blacks out frequently (about every 10 seconds, then gradually less and less) for about a second at a time. Effectively, during this time it is bl00dy useless !! Has anyone else experienced this or similar with this kind of display (not necessarily this make or model, as I am not on an Acer-bashing rant here - name provided for informational purposes only). I am running it on the analogue input (that's all I have), at a resolution of 1280x1024, at a refresh rate of 60Hz (is this relevant with TFTs ?) Refresh rates are available up to 75Hz, but I found it seems slightly better at 60. My Gfx card is a Rage Fury Pro, 32 Mb RAM (no laughing at the back !) Tried updating the drivers for both - no change.

Gonna call the store I got it from now for further guidance, and most likely a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It sounds like the same thing my HP laptop is intermittently doing Gav. It is the back-light or the inverter that drives the light. Sounds to me like a faulty monitor, nothing wrong with your PC/Video card IMHO. It's hard to be sure from here but I bet you a beer I am right :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

So good grounds for demanding a replacement then ? If so, I'll shout you that beer (as long as it's a pint of Trip's Va.. Bitter, that is ...)

Thanks Pete :D

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No worries governor and yes deff go the replacement route :biggrin

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks a million for the input Pete. Just got back from the store now with a replacement, fired it up, and solid as a rock. I even advised the guy on the counter that the backlight inverter looked scr€w€d :biggrin

VB's atcha, Dude *toss*

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cheers Gav - slurp :berrr