Testing windows 7/2K8 sp1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zainek, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

hey Guys,

Has anyone tested Windows 7 sp1 yet, lol im actually scared of rolling it out.I know its going to break somthing on my builds soon.

Incidentally does anyone know if the Dynamic memory allocation allows you to over commit ram like in VMware ESXi I like the 3D graphics over RDP soon I'll be able to play games at work :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Certifications: MCTS, ITILv3 F, MCTS, MBCS, MCITP:EA C&G
    WIP: CCA Xenapp 5.0 & VMWARE
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I haven't and to be honest if you're thinking of rolling it out in production same day it's out you're out of your mind.

However, I'm pretty sure I'll be checking it out tomorrow (now you mentioned it's out) on my home machine first, then my work machine. With 2008 R2 SP1 I think I'll wait few weeks until I even start thinking about.

Dynamic Memory Allocation is MS response to memory overcommitting so presumably it will do exactly that.

And good luck, I'm sure it will break few things here and there :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

nope im going to wait a few weeks.. before thinking about doing it in production.
    Im actually reluctant to roll it out for my test groups

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For Windows 7 with Sp1, we're currently building and testing our builds on them. So far the only thing that isn't working on them is KMS, automatic activation. It doesn't seem to like the KMS ley for Windows 7 RTM.

For the SP1 update, we've tried updating 3 laptops (2 existing laptops, 1 freshly built laptop) and the service pack just fails, don't know why and to be honest haven't looked into it.

Monday & yesterday we tested out Windows 2008 r2 with SP1 (Windows 7 with SP1 was the virtualised client) for Microsoft VDI. Apart from not being able to automatically provision clients like VMWare, we couldn't see any issues. However we didn't put any load on the server.

Tomorrow will be testing out RDS (not VDI, the newer version of Terminal Services for R2) with Windows 2008 r2 with SP1.

Sorry can't give any more info.

-Ken

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Zainek

Zainek Nibble Poster

Cheers Ken, thats very helpful

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I dunno 'bout KMS, it's the first time I hear of this issue. I'll ask some colleagues if they know anything about this. Maybe you just need an updated key from your clearinghouse?

The 2008 R2 Dynamic Memory allocation thing is the same as VMware's, just ne careful what VM's you want to use it for. Exchange 2010 is a definitive no-no and TechNet articles have been updated accordingly. May be the same for some other database based applications...

SP1 so far hasn't proved to be problematic for myself, everything I have on my machines have continued to work (but I may not have the same apps as you). There's not that many new features provided by this particular Service Pack, much more so a simple packaging of all the updates since the OS came out and as such there's some speculation that just about everything that worked in RTM, should work in SP1 of 7/2k8R2 as well. But as with any major patch roll-out, testing is key for your company.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate, we do have a volume licence agreement (a school's agreeement) with software assurance, so we have the latest keys online. But we'll take a look into it.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Have you tried running an elevated command prompt and checking the status of activation with "cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv" and force activation with "cscript slmgr.vbs /ato" on the Win7 boxes? Tell me what your error message is if it still doesn't work.

Another thing to note is that if your clients were hard wired to a particular KMS and this information has been removed from your environment, then the clients would fail the registration process. If your KMS installations are not properly registered in DNS, clients will no longer know how to contact it. Running the /dlv command on an original client and on the SP1 client should show if there are any differences.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. Kitkatninja

Well, we've sorted the KMS issue out. This was the issue:

The problem occurs if the KMS server does not find a valid Windows marker in the ACPI_SLIC table in the computer’s BIOS program.

Fixes for the above error:

1. Update your BIOS, if that doesn't work
    2. Use your MAK key.

-ken