Testing Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by JammyBStard, Jun 9, 2008.

1. JammyBStard

JammyBStard New Member

Can I pick your brains please.

At work, I have some digital video recorders (DVR's), The DVR's are basically embedded windows XP machines with big hard drives.

Some of you may be familiar with the APC UPS software PowerChute. It’s installed on network computers. It communicates with a networked UPS and "Gracefully" shuts-down the computer (in this case my DVR) on power failure. but that bit's irrelevant for this question.

What I’m finding when I install PowerChute onto my DVR's and test is that they work perfectly the first time they receive a power failure message, but won't work again unless I uninstall and re-install the software.

I'm not that familiar with embedded windows, but I understand that it has bits missing that are not considered necessary for the purpose of the machine. But I can manually add things back in if required. For example the first time I tried to install PowerChute on the DVR's, It through up an error because the machine did not have the C runtime DLL installed, so I pasted the .dll into its usual place in windows and it installed fine.

So I’m guessing my embedded XP is missing something further.

Thanks for sticking with my ramble this far! My question is:
    I want to install PowerChute on a standard copy of XP connect it to the network and monitor the software as it operates normally, I'd like to know which files and registry entries etc it references so I can check them off against the embedded version.

Can anyone suggest how I might do this, I'm guessing there's software out there to help with this sort of thing, any help would be appreciated.

Certifications: HND Computer and Communication Eng
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just a thought, is it worth installing the C++ runtime components on the PC and then trying the APC software again?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

Also try typing sfc /scannow on the PC, might throw up some missing files and will take it off the XP CD if needed.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JammyBStard

JammyBStard New Member

This could well be worth a look-in-to
    I didi some googling and I'm not sure that SFC is availible on XPe but I'll ask the vendor about it when I see him on wednesday.

What I'm really interested in doing is finding out what windows components the PowerChute uses so I can bounce it back to the DVR manufactures to sort out.

I'm going to have a look at this next: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandboxie
    see if it can help me

Cheers Sparky

Certifications: HND Computer and Communication Eng
    WIP: 70-270