Test lab for studying - one machine

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by nybella, Sep 14, 2008.

1. nybella

nybella New Member

I would like to set up some virtual machines to prepare for my Server 2008 MCTS studies.

I currently have one desktop machine, an Intel Q6600 with 4GB of RAM. For the testing, I assume I may need to have 3 or 4 virtual machines running at any one time as well as the host OS. Is this viable without buying more hardware?

Would using Vista or XP64 as the host OS and then using Virtual Server 2005 or VMWare Workstation or VMWare server be best? Alternatively, would it be best to forgo using this machine as my "day to day" PC whilst I am studying? I could then install Server 2008 and the Hyper-V role and then add the various virtual machines in Hyper-V.

Basically I would like a solution that will run 3 or 4 virtual machines (say 2 servers, maybe 1 DC and 1 Exchange server as well as an XP workstation) reasonably well on my hardware. If I use a setup where I have a normal host os when not testing, I'd like my host os to be as close to a "normal" desktop as possible i.e. run "consumer" type applications.

Thank you.

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF, you may want to head over to the intro area and introduce yourself.

As for your questions. Your hardware should be more than adequate for what you specified. Bear in mind you will need a 64bit OS so make use of the whole 4GB's of ram.

You could multiboot Vista and Server 2k8 on the same PC (rather than just running 2K8 + Hyper V). That way, you don't have to give up the use of the PC as a day to day machine.

Personally, I'd go the virtual route, on top of a 64bit OS in this scenario.

You may also want to consider using Virtual PC 2007. I personally never liked MS Virtual Server 2005. There is a 64bit version of Virtual PC 2007 available, and it's nice and easy to setup and use. The virtual networking on it is particularly easy to setup in my opinion and that counts for a lot as the complexity of your virtual lab increases.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada