Tesco clubcard & Open University

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Fire guy, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

Just a heads up to anybody who might have missed this.

We just got our clubcard vouchers through the post today along with a new booklet whch lists all of the places you can spend them.

They have just added the Open University to the list. The thing is that every £10 in clubcard vouchers you have is worth £40 in deals vouchers which means that if you have acquired a fair few like we have you could potentially afford one of the pretty expensive courses the OU run. We got about £50 today and I am seriously considering doing the CCNA course that they run.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Could you explain this a little more.. including the Tesco card... :oops:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

Blimey that was quick!

The Tesco clubcard is one of those loyalty cards where every few months they send you vouchers to spend in their shops based on how much you have spent there.
    The "Deals" option is like I said above, you send them your actual "money" vouchers in exchange for "Deals" vouchers worth 4 times the face value of the originals. These you can spend in certain designated places.

We got a week in Ireland for 4 last year including ferry paid for entirely with vouchers so it is well worth saving them up.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not bad, the only thing is that we save up our Tesco's vouchers for the Christmas dinner for the whole family :smile-l

But otherwise, I think that a great idea Tesco's and the Open U has done.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Fireguy,

Are you earning less than £25k a year?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

I will be when I start my new job on monday :dry

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The reason for saying was that if you earned under £25k you would qualify for a grant with the OU that would have paid the course for you.

8. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

Could you elaborate on this a bit please. That's the first I've heard of this so would be very interested to learn more especially considering the previous 3 courses I've done with them.

9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Fire guy, ring your Region and chat it over - they will give you all the details.

I am planning to do T229 in November (currenlty on T305) so may see you there as I Brum would be my Day School of choice.

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

11. Fire guy

Fire guy Bit Poster

I think some clarification is in order here as the link Wizard posted tells a different story to the original claim.

You can apply for a grant towards your fees for undergraduate courses (Levels 1 to 3) and, depending on certain eligibility criteria, you could get your fees paid for if:

your gross household income is no more than £15,700 for a full award and up to £26,180 for a partial award,
    you are receiving certain benefits (Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, income-based Job Seeker's Allowance or New Deal Allowance)
    you are unemployed

Hope this helps.