Terminator

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Oct 3, 2007.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

So last nite I decided to watch a preair pilot of this show. Have to say it has potential...a lot of reference from the films...however the pilot picks up where Terminator 2 ended...and we see Sarah and John running as usual.

A few things to look out for (eventually its coming onto TV on the new Virgin 1 channel): a female terminator (much like T3) but she is there to protect John and Sarah. Watch out for the fight between the terminators (male vs female again like T3).

But perhaps the best part of the pilot was when they went forward into the future (the shows starts in 1999) and all 3 of them appeared naked....in the middle of a road full of busy traffic :biggrin

Now whether this is the final shot of the pilot I dont know...they may change it (much like they did with Bionic Woman).

So just thought I would share this with you for anyone who may want to watch it when it starts on Virgin 1 (available on Freeview, Sky and Virgin) :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What? How many terminators can you have? Frankly, this sounds like an attempt to capitalize on the success of the Terminator films without really adding to the overall story arc. The future John Connor must have been a maniac and had dozens of terminators at his disposal as well as an unending power supply for his time machine.

The adult Connor's original plan was to change the future by changing the past. He never succeeded. The only thing he managed to do was to keep his mother safe until she could give birth and raise John (more or less) and until John could grow to young adulthood and be placed in a shelter to keep him alive through the atomic conflict.

Creating a story between the second and third films may seem interesting but to what end?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

To be honest im sad enough to realise the paradox when the terminator films were released.

Future john conner sends his 'father' back in time to save his mother, obviously he knows it works other wise future john would not be alive to send his father back in time to save his mother:blink

Sarah conner tries to destroy sky net to stop the apocalypse, if she had destroyed sky net then she would have never met the terminator in the first film cos it would have not been sent back to kill her. (herein lies the paradox) if she never met the terminator in the first film she would have not tried to kill sky net, sky net gets created, terminator sent back in time... and so on and so forth.

Adult john ( third film ) again tries to stop sky net from being released, if he succeeded there would have been no terminators to send back into his past, he would not know about terminators, not try to stop sky net... and so on and so forth.

(anyone confused yet :P)

Anyway i divulge from what i was going to say...

Think ill watch it to see how they do it, but its all pre set, hopefully it will not be like small ville was. Doing things that are completely out of the film scripts and character histories.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Astrophysicist Gregory Benford wrote a novel in 1980 called Timescape chronicling the efforts of a future team of scientists trying to send messages back in time to a university science lab in the early 1960s warning them of the disasterous affects of various chemical pollutants on the environment in the hopes of changing history and saving the future. The result (spoilers here) is the creation is an alternate timeline where a greater environmental effort does result in saving the environment in an alternate timeline creating an alternate future, but the original future timeline remains intact.

That is one of the classic methods of avoiding a timeloop paradox which obviously doesn't occur in the Terminator films. The result of time travel in the trilogy is to fulfill the current timeline, not to change it. As MM said, the adult Connor wouldn't exist unless he sent his father back in time to meet his mother and conceive him. Also, the subsequent terminiators had to be sent back in order to shape John's formative years and give him the skill sets necessary to be the leader he becomes.

Isn't time travel fun? :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

And whats wrong with the way Smallville has been done? If anything they have followed the comics more than the films which is what they should be doing...since they have included the likes of Flash and Aquaman and Green Arrow. They have followed some aspects of the films, such as the Fortess Of Solitude and they crystal creating it.

Besides I love Smallville and I read Superman/Justice League comics every month and Smallville certainly uses the comics well. and the new season of Smallville has introduced Supergirl...and we'll be seeing Clark's real mum (Lara) and also possibly Kara 's (Supergirl) dad. Again, reference to the films...so its not all bad :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life