Terminal Services

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Chris-Cooper, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Chris-Cooper

Chris-Cooper Bit Poster

OK gang, heres another one.

I'm playing with Terminal Services and I have set up the server and added Microsoft Word to practice on but can I connect from my client??? No can I hell.

I have two accounts, Admin and User and neither can connect. Both are members of Remote Desktop Users group.

Both Domain Controller and Default Domain policy have had RDUsers physically added to the 'Allow log on to Terminal Services' right.

I keep getting

"To log onto this remote computer, you must have Terminal Server User Access permissions on this computer blah blah blah etc"

I have done gpupdate just in case and logged users off and on after.

Why can't I log on?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    Certifications: 70-270, 70-291, 70-293
    WIP: 70-290
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Have you added the group to the RD allowed setting on the physical server you want them to rdp to.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Yes they have to be member of the of the remote desktop users group on the actual terminal server.

Check they you have not got a deny logon within the users account properties in Active directory, or a deny within group policy settings that applies to user or group that is trying to access the terminal server.

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When I was learning about it on 2k3, this guide was very useful (see here for part 2).

It'll go step by step, as I don't know what you've done already - just go thru it.

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Chris-Cooper

Chris-Cooper Bit Poster

Can you elaborate on this?? I thought there was only one RDU group? The builtin one?

Remember you're talking to a novice as far as Active Directory and Group policy goes MCSA doesn't really cover it :dry

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

If its a DC, you need to Allow Logon Locally

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Under the run menu type in gpedlit.msc-under computer configuration-windows settings-account policies-local policies-user rights assignment, look for "Allow log on locally. Finally ensure the user or group is added in to log on locally.

Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Chris-Cooper

Chris-Cooper Bit Poster

Yep they all have log on locally right and noone is denied neither grrrrr

9. purana

purana Nibble Poster

So did you end up resolving it? What was the solution?

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE