Terminal Server Licensing

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomshawk, Apr 11, 2013.

1. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Hey guys, I have a question about something I have never heard of and just want to clarify.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move if needed.

I have installed Terminal server in 2012
    I have installed Terminal Server in 2003 countless times
    both without issue, but...

I have not found anything definitive on this and would love some feedback as to whether it is legal, illegal, possible to install 2012 Terminal Server licenses on a 2003 Server.

The client bought a 5 pack of 2012 Terminal Server cals and the guy they bought it from got the Terminal Server working, but as I have not been aloud to look at the server, I wonder if they used a legal way to do this or did they use a terminal Server key from a different 2003 server.

They should me the Microsoft eopen website showing the purchase, and the Remote Desktop download for 2012 Server but...

Is it legal or even possible.

A link explaining would be great, I'm not saying its impossible, I've just never done it before and question its legality.

Thanks in advance for any help

- - - Updated - - -

I think I found my answer

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/702f1d5d-d8ec-4b47-b90a-60bb32a0c0e2

No, you are not alloud to do this, so they are using the license from someone / somewhere else illegally since they do not have a 2012 licensing server

Could anyone confirm?

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Nope.

I can only presume that, as with all other new Microsoft licensing, you will be issued downgrade-rights (as they will not now be issuing 2003 licenses).
    It seems feasable to me that, although the CALs will not be compatible to be physically installed, you will be able to downgrade them to work within your infrastructure.
    I, though, have also been unable to produce a definitive answer in my short search on this subject...

Anyone else..?

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Doesn't Terminal Server Licensing actually have to installed on the server? Like as a code or something (I don't use it, and I only vaguely remember talking about it)

So just like a 2010 Office product wouldnt work with a 2003 office install, is it not the case that the other wouldn't work?

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Downgrade to 2003 perhaps?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

OK, So here's the skiny

I called Microsoft since I could find nothing definitive on the web.

You may buy the 2012 Remote Desktop Licenses.
    Set up the Terminal Server Licensing Server, when it comes to activation, use the phone activation option, call Microsoft with your Authorization number in hand and they will give you a downgrade Serial number to match the amount of cals you bought.

Thanks everyone for looking into this with me. Strange, I really didn't think you could downgrade that much, but, Microsoft will allow it.

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

No probs.

Glad you got it sorted - they should always offer downgrade rights (especially to businesses), I just wasn't 100% sure on TC CALs as I've not had to try as of yet...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I've called MS a few times with downgrade requests and they are always happy to help.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs