Temporary IE files

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Ally, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Hey, am currently trying to troubleshoot a slow internet dial-up connection and am looking for a bit of advice. Im running ad-aware, stinger and norton internet security to detect viruses and spyware that could be the cause of this.
    I know that the temporary IE files can also be a cause of a slow connection but am unsure of how i can determine when this is the cause. i.e the temp folder gets to a certain size etc

Any help appreciated :D

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you tried changing the settings for the Temporary Internet Files, and the amount of space they take up?

Internet Options > Temporary Internet Files > Settings.

8)

3. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

I have not attempted to change any settings yet as i dont understand at what size these files need to get to before they can become a performance problem for the connection.
    The settings are max= 124MB
    Current size= 28MB

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi,

dont forget that 56k is the maximum transfer in theory. Whenever i use dial up at various customers homes i usually see 25-40kbps.

I also find Firefox loads pages quicker than IE and is also more secure too. Try the general house clearing and let us know if it is any better :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

The default settings for IE should be fine.

Try Ccleaner for cleaning your Temp Files along with other unneeded files.

Neall

WIP: A+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What speeds are you getting?

Dial up is painfully slow, end of story.

Temp Internet Files help speed up the perceived surfing experience, so deleting them will make surfing appear slower.

Some ISPs dial up speeds in reality are worse than others.

Norton does not enhance the speed of anything, quite the opposite IMHO. Remove it and install AVG free and the whole PC will speed up.

Stinger is only good for removing a few major virus threats.

Try running Spybot S&D and Microsoft's anti spyware beta. The will most likely find more rubbish on the PC.

With the prices of broadband in the UK why are they still on dial up :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just a thought, but the length of the cable to the socket could also affect the speed.

8)

8. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

sorry people i really should have been more specific!yeah dial up is cr#p, wont have it for much longer. the given speed is always ok, usually around 54Kbps but opening up pages at times is painful. actually gets to the point where they dont open at all n i jus shut the thing down . i know dial up is slow but it not meant to be like this!!! :(

9. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Seeing as the dial up speed is not to bad,how much memory do you have on the PC?

Is it painfully slow at opening other Programs?

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Have you tried using Opera or Firefox?

Opera is only about a 3 MB download.

It could be a DNS issue, you could try setting different DNS servers in your dial up properties. If you can find a good alternative to your ISPs. Local universities usually host their own DNS servers which wouldn't be so busy as your ISPs.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)