Telephone interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rocker, Jun 20, 2012.

1. rocker

rocker New Member

I had a telephone interview a few weeks ago. I feel it went terrible. I don't think I have got through to the next stage. I had prepared well for the interview, but there were many questions that left me a bit stunned on how I would answer them. I feel that I couldn't answer that many of them. It was in conference style with people from different sides of the world, very difficult as there were delays when I spoke and they answered :blink

It was for a kind of first line support role.

Has anyone had much experience with doing interviews like this? Any tips?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I had an interview once with much the same scenario, I found it difficult to hear what people where saying as I was having to ask them to repeat themselves time after time. I don't like this style of interview but for employers its a quick way to week out the undesirables. Not that Im suggesting you fall in to that category, I got myself a good headset for the next interview I had and that helped with the sound quality.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

It might not have been a pleasant experience but nevertheless it was experience. Take it on the chin, learn from it and move on. We all have bad interviews but I can honestly say you will get used to them and they become easier. The personal/experience based questions you should be able to answer easily as these will appear in most interviews. The more technical will likely differ in each interview but go away and research the topics you couldn't answer well from your previous interview and what ever you are unsure about on the job spec of your next interview. Make sure you take away something from each interview.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Telephone interviews are usually designed to separate the people who don't really live up to their CV's and thoes that do deliver the skills on their CV's. For example I've had 2 telephone interviews and I was successful with both and the questions they asked were basic networking ones like port number etc... They are primarily looking to see if you are BS'ing on your CV. If you answer their questions confidently they will invite you to phase 2 the face to face.

Just out of interest what questions did they ask you?

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+