Telephone interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steve_p1981, Aug 3, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Got an email from a company that i applied for work at yesterday and they want to give me a telephone interview. I'm a little nervous as i don't know if i'll get any technical questions to answer. Im brushing up on my command line stuff as i don't get to use it very often. It's for a 1st line role in east london so it won't be expensive to travel to which is a result. Does anyone have any advice that might come in handy?

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Never done a phone intervew myself but i suppose if you have a friend whos in IT, ie your area, then get him.her to phone you up to practice. IS 1st lne IT, taking calls from people who are having problems, then im sure they will be assessing your telephone manner. And a you yourself have pointer out, brush up on what you know, as that will surely impress.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Telephone interviews, you can't really do alot to prepare - it completely depends on the nature of the work, what enviornment, and what skills they've asked for

Basic quesitons may pop up, and also ones about procedure. i.e You've found a fault on the network, what would be your first course of action etc etc

I very much doubt they'll ask you to talk about command line in a telephone interview

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

I haven't had an interview in a while, but don't companies normally like you to kiss their butt a little bit?

As a bare minimum, I'd do my homework on the company....

Good luck Steve!

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

In my case, phone interviews have usualy been very low on any technical questions. They seem to be more about gauging your behaviour, courtecy, attitude, eagerness, etc...

Especially if it's for a 1st line support role, you may spend a lot of time on the phone and thus the employer may want to see if you're someone they'd like to hear pickup the phone when they call helpdesk for support.

It helps to listen carefully, don't disrupt the other person/people when they're talking, and make sure you can take the call in a quiet place so that you can do the interview in peace.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I just had a phone interview that I was told was supposed to be a tech interview. The nearest I got to techy questions was him asking me to rate, on a scale of one to ten, my knowledge in particular areas (such as XP OS, BES admin etc). Not really helpful apart form to reiterate what was said about not being able to guess what they might throw at you.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

great, cheers :-) i got a message from the guy saying that it'll be about 30 mins long. i'll just try and work my charm. not too sure how to answer it. Whether to say hello, or hello (my name) or what. I'm sure i'll be ok, just need to brush up on some rusty points and research the company

8. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

Let us know how it goes, good luck (again!) :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  9. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I had the interview today. It went well, he liked my phone manner and what i told him about myself etc. I answered 3 basic technical questions and he said he'll call me and let me know if he wants to see me for a proper interview. Fingers crossed :-)