Telephone interview tomorrow-ask for an advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Prezesmaks, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

Hello guys

Ive just been told Im gonna be interviewed over the phone tomorrow afternoon. The company provides broadband for home users and business, leases lines. Usuall network stuff. Requirements are: working knowledge of TCP/IP networking and ICTs. What questions could I expect? I know there are some people here with proper knowledge about Network. Knowing that Im working towards A+ and have no IT expirence 8) , what would you ask me? Could you point me out most common questions, what should I be aware of? I would be greatful for any tips and advice. Thanks guys.

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ --> MCSE
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi

Dont really know what you might get asked, but you could possibly be asked something like "do you know the difference between RJ-11 and RJ-45

You could also be asked if you know the difference between Upstream and downstream as its a broadband/network company.

I would brush up on the network/internet chapters in the A+ all in one exam guide 6th edit if you have it a get some networking info of the net.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

A bit late answer but what teh.. :). Sorry guys.
    Greenbrucelee, thx m8 for some tips. TBH I was waiting to get some feedback from interviewer but so far nothing whatsoever. Anyway, telescreen lasted 25 min. First part listening: two short texts, 3 questions each. (basically history of the company, what they do and what they can offer). Other questions:
    1. What does ADSL filter do?
    2. What 5 elements do you need to configure manually TCP/IP network connection.
    You are speaking with person who is very unfamiliar with computers etc. Could you please explain the purpose of:
    3.IP Address -what does it do, why do we need it
    4.Subnet mask - (same)
    5.Default gateway - (same)
    6.DNS (same)
    7.Short demo of customer->technician conversation

Why did you apply for that job? (reason)
    Why do you want to work for "xyz" company.

So considering the time they have not replied defo I have failed.
    But I`ve had another one not so far ago. I was totally unprepared.Just straight to the point after little introduction :). Similar questions ( IP,DNS,Modem-Router->difference,movie and book recommendation!! ). I thought it went worse then the previous one.Wrong. Final stage tomorrow. Short face to face interview, role-playing exercise, and short written test.

WISH ME LUCK!!

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good luck dude :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah good luck man.

Maybe tell us some of the answers you gave them, just so we could see if they were good answers or not.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  6. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

good luck man

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  7. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

Hey guys,

Well this time it`s been a while since my last time here... I do really apologize but to be honest I've had some reasons. For the last couple of months I was pretty busy looking for a job, than trying to keep it :).
    But first things first. About my interviews. The first one as I wrote wasnt impressive so after 5 weeks! at least I recevied a letter that they found sligthly better people who fit the profile. F... it. I was waiting for the anwser from another company I really wanted to work for. Imho my interview went really good. But after I left my excitement behind I thought that I failed again. I was a bit too overjoyed with all the conversation and company and benefits and prospects of promotion ect. Simply I showed them I want that job really badly. Well Ive been made redundant and that was pretty dream job for me then so lets say Im a bit excused. Well that intereview was in last days of August and so far no answer whatsoever. Nothing-not even kiss my bottom.
    About my answers- its really hard to rewind and remember all the answers Ive given so lets move on:). Anyway every day after I lost my job I was trying to send at least 10-15 CVs. It really helped. After two weeks some London! agency called me (me-north west). They spotted my CV on "xyx" website and offered me a quick job once a week or in two weeks in Manchester. Well at least something. Of course IT field. £90 a day :). Installing computers in new offices :). Well-It is related at least. And after 3,5 weeks of being unemployed some agency from Manchester called me asking for interwiev. It turned out later that interview was only formality. So here I am. Service engineer ( laptop repairer ). Wage is s... NMW, but I do enjoy it so far and I think Im good at what Im doing now. I was so busy for the last 3 months doing overtime to straighten my economic situation I left behind my IT course. And what is worse my former employer owes me my 2 weeks wage+redundancy entitelment. Court hearing in 4 weeks... and wedding in 5 months... So yeap I was pretty busy.

To all job seekers - my tips -be persistent and consistent.

Good luck to you all.
    cheers

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New year lads :)

8. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

well done mate. a real role model for all job seekers out there. hopefully 08 will have bigger and better things.

Certifications: 271
  9. Prezesmaks

Prezesmaks Bit Poster

Cheers mate. Bigger? - definitely; better? - fingers crossed :)

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the job, well done and keep up the good work!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA