Telephone interview - at last!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, May 22, 2009.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi Chaps...

Not a big poster here, but I'm sure some people would recognise my name..

Anyway good news this morning, had email confirmation that I have a telephone interview a week today (29th) and it will last about 15-20 minutes. Just after a bit of advice as to what kind of things I will be asked, or anything to look out for..

The job is a systems support officer in a housing association, supporting various applications, and also general helpdesky-troubleshooty type things aswell I think (i will obviously check all the job descriptions again!). I think one of the main reasons I got this far is due to all the certs I have done, one of the person specifications was that the person would take on responsibility for their own learning etc.

I am really happy about this, I got invited for an interview before but had to turn it down due to the other half not being too happy about the shift pattern :rolleyes: but I have applied for hundreds of jobs (pretty much everyone I get emailed about which is at my level) and I get a lot of false hope from agencies.

Anyway enough rambling, welcome your advice guys :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

They can ask about anything, so be prepared to speak about it.
    From a technical standpoint, I'd review whatever certs are applicable for this job. For example, review A+ and MCDST is that material is applicable here.

Since they mentioned 'learning', be prepared to speak about how you prioritized your time, what methods you used to self-learn, etc...

Good luck...

3. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

I've had a telephone interview for a tech role before. The guy asked me questions like "how do you deal with frustrated customers on the phone" - had to give an example, "How do you organise your workload" - same, had to give a real example, there were no technical questions but employers like to throw atleast 1 technical question these days, 1 on my last interview was "how would diagnose if someone rang up and said their internet is running slow in the office?"...pretty simple right....at the interview my mind went blank!! lol.

Good luck

Certifications: BSc Computer Science, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys.

It's a telephone interview to be followed next week (if successful) by a face to face interview, with a 30 minute test :ohmy and, like you, im worried that due to being nervous or being put on the spot my mind will go blank!

I will just have to be cool :biggrin

5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

good luck mate :) remember to speak slowly and clearly and try to let your personality show.

Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Also, don't be afraid to say that you don't know the answer (don't try to BS). When you do say "I don't know" you can also suggest a solution to where you would start looking for the answer.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's a very good one :thumbleft The amount of people who try to BS thru an interview is unbelievable.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The very best of luck with it :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

well, not sure what to make of it...

Some difficult questions which I thought put me on the spot under pressure (I guess that's the point of it), not overly confident - first ever telephone interview (don't like them now :D) so will just have to wait and see - I will find out later today if I got through to round 2 or not!

11. Fresh108

Fresh108 Bit Poster

Hope you do mate. Good Luck

Certifications: BSc Computer Science, A+
    WIP: MCDST
  12. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Well,

Didn't get it unfortunately, and I'm not surprised as I don't think I did that well really! They said they are going to email me feedback as to what they thought of me etc, so will see how I really did lol :rolleyes: