Tele-interview for good payed job..

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by trybar, Feb 27, 2008.

1. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Hi.

Tomorrow I will be interviewed by teleconference for a 20k technical support position..

They already seen my CV, willing to accept my previous lack of IT oficial work, but want to ask me couple questions about ways to handle repairs, by telephone probably..

How to prepare myself..? Write down something.. what? I'll be ask about printers for sure, so I wrote some questions to ask already, but how do you think - what else..? I read company's website and I will make some notes out of it..

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There's really not much you can do to perpare as they could ask you anything, maybe find out what area you may be ivolved in and read up some material on that work and its a good idea to read up on the company too.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

how do you know they will ask about printers?

4. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Because recruitment agent told me, that I didn't mentioned this in my CV or additional info I've sent to him (and he passed to company's HR), so they will ask.. But maybe it was his words only - who knows..

5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

What are the duties of the job? If it’s a helpdesk type role, is it where you would visit the client or handle calls? I’m thinking they’ll want to hear how you come across the phone. In addition to the technical questions and how you walk a client through it, they might be looking for professional etiquette, and how confrontation/stress is handled.

Good Luck… :sunny

6. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Phone interviews from my general experience include:

Give us an example where u have gone out of ur way to help a customer?

Give us an example where u have show good teamworking skills?

My only real input for troubleshooting is never forget the basics:

Has the cabling been checked?

Are there any lights on there?

Has it ever worked?

When was the last time it worked?

Does the printer work for other users?

Does the printer do a test print?

Can other users print from this PC?

Can you print from other applications?

Hope this in some way helps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Also...

Is there paper in the printer?
    Is the printer switched on?

:biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

All except "anybody else have problems" was already written, but thanks for assuring me I'm on right track :) Also printers control panel and marks on printers icon..

Damn, I'm 37, but I feel like 20 again.. It's stressfull as hell :) Possibilities to gain experience on this position are great, so really looking forward for this..

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Very good idea to read up on the company, when I went for my interview yesterday the interviewer asked me what I knew about the company.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

OK, so hot minded:

Interview lasted almost 30 mins - I was prepared (before conversation) for 15 mins and ready to spend a 100 pound on my mobile but no - they probably charge line use to the company because cost was only 2 pounds, so I can call my wife for a several hours now :)

Questions:
    What was my normal day in last position looks like?
    What I liked in my previous job?
    Why I left it?
    What i didn't liked in my previous job?
    What I'll do when user's workstation stops seeing network..?
    What I'll do when user reports that networked printer is not printing..?

Results - tommorow...

My job for now? Keep sending applications, because I'm not sure whether my english was good enough for them :)

11. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Result? "Unfortunatelly, you dont have enough previous experience in IT"... Damn, 16 years of use of hardware and software must have had an impact on my knowledge arghhh.... No complaints though..

But thanks to the same guy, who gave me this chance, now I have 1 week temp job in IT dept in one of media companies in London (according to his words, one guy who was sent there for one week too is sitting there 3 or 4 weeks already..), so - at last good news for me.... second - its on the closest to me tube lane, so no changes along the way :)

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When an employer says that you don't have enough experience in IT, he means you don't have enough real-world business IT experience. If the position requires someone with real-world IT experience, you cannot substitute any number of years of personal IT experience or classroom IT experience to make up for it.

I had 18 years of "messing with computers" before getting my first IT job at age 28. Your prior knowledge will likely help you to advance quickly... but believe me - working in IT is probably quite a bit different from what you've been doing for the past 16 years with respect to hardware and software.

In any case, congrats on the temp job! Hopefully, you can turn that into something more permanent!! With your knowledge, you likely will.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

I know that.. Maybe they're really pass me to second stage and rejected there, as man claimed? I've had interview... Who knows..

Anyway, I'll report here my fly or fall in that job for sure..

14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the temp job.
    Hopefully you can start gaining the experience you need to move into a permanent role.

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats on the temp job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?