.tel domains - any thoughts

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Metalstar, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

The .tel domains become available to the public on 24th March - Is anyone thinking about using one?

They are at a premium if you compare them to a normal domain registration (about £15 per year). You can see an example of one here http://www.emma.tel/

I'm trying to work out who these would be worthwhile for. It would be nice to just give a business card out with the .tel address on it but you could just as easily do that now with a cheaper domain.

The other worry is making such an easy avenue for spam/cold callers to find your details etc.

any thoughts?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

It's not a bad idea, because you don't need hosting with them (I think) it's stores it in the DNS. If you're someone who doesn't want to maintain a website, it might be worth a look.
    Although I think it would be a spammers paradise :D

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not I.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Na, I'm quite happy with my .co.uk domain :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security