TechRepublic Suspension

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rover977, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I have been a subscriber to TechRepublic for a few years now, and have found the articles they publish to be quite helpful for keeping up with general developments in IT.

However last week on replying to some comments made on an article on good web design practices, in which people complained vociferously about all the ads and annoyances which pepper so many web pages these days, I added a link to the JavaScript tool called web declutter which I wrote last year to allow clearing of this content in one click.

For this they have suspended my account, because this 'encourages visitors to leave our site'.

Err, excuse me, this is the year 2011, and all modern web browsers have 'tabs', and you do NOT have to 'leave' a site to follow a link. Most people Ctrl-click or right click on a link to open it in a new tab for later perusal - ie they do NOT leave the current page.

I think this is very draconian action and I'm considering dumping this site altogether despite the useful information it provides.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

TechRepublic is ****. It's always been ****, and always will be ****. You're better off out of there.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hmm, a four-star rating from Zeb isn't bad.
    I might check it out...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i refuse to click links to any techrepublic site, i echo Zeb, its utter crap, and half the articles are plagiarized, or duplicate's from other sources

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Thanks Zeb/Phoenix - I am of similar opinion now!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA