Technical question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jul 7, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Been seeing a lot about the specs of the playstation 4 and the xbox 1 (80) and it seems im missing something here. See both consoles are on the 32 bit (x86) architecture, which i was always sure the limitation for useable ram was 4 gig max, so what has changed, if anything to now have the original goalposts moved.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I think you maybe confusing x86 (which is an INSTRUCTION set) with the fact that it is a 64-bit processor (which has nothing to do with the instruction set).

The processor is 64-bit compliant.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok, so these instructions are in 32 bit, but run on a 64 bit processor ???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yep, that's right.

Remember that "x86" started off as a 16-bit instruction set!

I have quoting wiki, as it's so full of errors but this about covers my understanding of its history...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...