TechNet Subs

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by dales, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I have a question that you may be able to help with regarding technet subscriptions. I understand that if you subscribe to it (currently at about £180 for a new subscriber for a year), you are able to download and use a large MS library with no time limits (so the evauls dont run out after 180 days). Is this correct if so as I am starting top study for my 270 can I download say xp pro and then 2003 server (two of those to test replication, RIS etc etc). If so that seems like excellent value for money to me, as currently I have to rebuild a server every 180 days which isnt too bad at the mo but may quickly get annoying when I get to the 290 and 291.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

As far i know the evalutation software in the technet is still 180 days evals.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the quick answer, i thought from the below that it would mean the eval software had no time limits on it. If thats not the case whats the point of paying that when you can download the same versions for free?

Try Microsoft Software without Time Limits
    In the subscriber-only Download Centre get unlimited access to full-version software licensed for evaluation purposes. This includes all of Microsoft’s server products, desktop operating systems and more. This is where IT professionals get unlimited download access to Microsoft technology.

Available NOW to subscribers:
    • Microsoft Vista
    • 2007 Microsoft Office system
    • Microsoft Exchange 2007

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

theres no time limit just like the msdn subs

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thats what I thought too, with the technet subs the software should not have a time limit.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

Have you try or you just think ?
    I remember the old serial-number included with the technet software, had the "180 days evalutations" wrote beside.
    Maybe is changing now.
    Let me know if you have tried and now the software does not expire anymore.
    I have the technet but i only use that for the technical information.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for the replies, however I dont think I will "try" with £180 of my lovely gold coins. perhaps someone with a current technet plus sub would be able to answer!

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

i got the msdn sub not technet but even on there site they state it, there maybe diffrent levels of subscription, or maybe it has changed.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Dales,
    I'm currently a Technet subscriber and the software isn't time limited to 180 days. The software available is the full licensed versions but they are for evaluation purposes only.
    The 180 day 'time limited' software is what is available for download from the public download site on Microsoft.com.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers
    NB:)

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As stated above, the software is not a time-limited version.

However... and this is a big however... TechNet is not a one-time cost, it is an annual subscription. Meaning, if you want to legally use the software past one year, you must renew your subscription. It won't time-bomb on you after a year, but if you don't renew, then you'll be as guilty of software piracy as someone who downloaded it from a torrent and used a hacked key.

That said, the annual cost is quite affordable, and I'd highly recommend it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks for that, I understand that its a yearly subscription as is the action pack. So what is the difference between the two do they seem to send you a specific set of apps for the action pack and the technet plus you can choose what you want to download!?

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I haven't compared the two side by side, but with the Actionpack you receive the initial media in a *big* wallet on CD/DVD. You also get a newsletter and updated media every 3 months.

Boyce

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The cost might be different, but I haven't compared them since MS went to the TechNet Direct method of delivery. Plus, the prices are somewhat different between the US and UK.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

OK thanks for all your input, So with that in mind I would like to set up one xp pro machine and have 2 virtual servers running on my main pc and looking at both sites both would give me the set up I would like. Its not quite so important at the moment whilst I am working for my 270 but I would like to set up 2 servers to play with RIS (I've only got 6 days left on one of my servers which isnt really helping).

thanks for all your help on this i've been trying to compare the two sites and seperate the wheat from the marketing flannel!

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Dales,

That's the beauty of it; once you have all the software you are all ready to go!

Start a new thread in the Virtual Computing forum as and when required.

Boyce