1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech crunch has started...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by neutralhills, Nov 15, 2008.

1. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Read the full article here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/technology/15tech.html?hp

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunately, this isn't surprising. Businesses are "tightening their belts" across the board. Even though I was hired in my current "long-term but temp" position with no specific end date in sight, there's always the concern in the back of my mind that, because I'm a temp, I can be let go to save costs.

That said, My cell started "ringing off the hook" yesterday because the HP site I work at has offered a 6 month (or longer) temp position for a person to develop training materials and manage one or more SharePoint websites. I guess that means they still have work. They're also keeping me and my counterpart pretty busy. Of course, HP is closing for 2 weeks for Christmas/New Years, which they didn't used to do, so I imagine that's a cost cutting measure. That means 2 weeks of "no pay". At least I've got a job but I feel sad for the many people around me that don't. :(

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Retail sales in the U.S. basically fell off a cliff last month. The economists are all afraid to use the D word, but it's obvious that we're already at the start of a global depression. No one has seen numbers like this since WWII. I've already noticed that the business in my store is starting to tail off as well. We're down 10% this year compared to last.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs