Tech Career Compass

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by itskillsguy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

A cool online tool/website I found this evening that has a dedicated section for the following classifications of those using/looking to use certifications:

New to IT - helps determine the next steps to take in order to build a career in the IT industry

IT professionals - helps determine the next steps to take in order to build on your current experience and advance your career

Employers - helps determine the training and certification to look for on a candidate’s resume and also write adverts

Career Advisor - helps show your students which certifications are appropriate for their career path and also designs a career map for students

Training Provider - same as above

Curriculum Developer - provides a variety of resources and tools that make it possible for you to continue delivering quality products.

http://tcc.comptia.org/default.aspx

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Another great find! thanks 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Must be psychic ! I was looking at that in the afternoon ! :biggrin

Just a bit of a caveat - I did try to use it and the "interest quiz" was pretty basic (just a few questions) though it did recommend me for support or teaching IT which I found quite interesting.

The "Skills Gap Assessment" is just producing errors for me, looks like a code issue or the server is down.

The "certification" option I found to be rather lacking. There were no ISEB exams listed at all and whilst HDI was covered I couldn't see ITIL or PRINCE2 mentioned either. It also didn't seem to have any "management" type roles listed (except "Project Manager").

Seemed to have a US bias as do so many things (sorry guys but there is a whole wide world outside of the USA ! :p ) but it's a nice idea, just not quite "there" yet IMHO.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

On the IT quiz/Interest Quiz, got this:

Score of 50-60

Characteristics:
    1. keeps things organized and in order
    2. makes sure that projects stay on track
    3. makes sure that information is standardized so that procedures are easy to follow
    4. gives careful attention to organization, procedure and structure
    5. can manage systems that require attention to precision and organization

Best Fits:
    1. Technical Writer
    ensure that standards are maintained in technical documents and products
    2. Database Administrator
    ensure that computers systems for tracking information are maintained and function effectively
    3. Network Designer and Administrator
    ensure that procedures and order are followed and maintained in the functioning of office computer networks
    4. Computer Programmer/Engineer
    write very detail-oriented computer programs
    IT jobs in accounting, stocks and bonds companies and other businesses where you would use IT to develop financial tools and services

The results of the Multiple Intelligences Survey was too long, won't bother posting it...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I got exactly the same as Ken!