TCP/IP Recommended Book?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by onoski, Dec 20, 2007.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi guys and gals, please am looking to purchase a good book on TCP/IP and would like to know if anyone can recommend one that's definately good.

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The TCP Guide, I have a hard copy of the book and it's excellent. As far as I know there are none better.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The classic book on the subject is from W Richard Stevens, and called TCP/IP Illustrated. It comes in 3 volumes, but you don't need to buy all three - vol 1 is the foundation.

The problem with this now is that it is somewhat dated, and needs revising. It would appear that nobody of sufficient authority has been found to do this (the author died about 7 years ago). That said - it is still one of the most detailed and high-quality books around.

The other book I would recomend is The TCP/IP Guide, by Charles M. Kozierok. His website is here and you can read the book online, as well as buy it in the bookshops.

This one is much more up-to-date, and covers a very wide set of protocols and related items. However it doesn't go into some of these very deeply - it would be several times the size if it did!.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. ffreeloader

I have TCP/IP Illustrated, and I'd agree it is pretty dated. It's also very *nix centric, so might be more than a little obtuse for a lot of Windows people.

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I must say though that even in a google search on a tcp/ip book this book and author is on the first page "The TCP/IP Guide, by Charles M. Kozierok".

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. ffreeloader

Well, all I can say to that is, before I buy anything I do a lot of research into products on Amazon.com reading reviews and Googling about the product. But, if I can find someone I know who has used what I'm looking at, their opinion is always of more value to me. I mean, just how many Amazon.com reviews and Google results do you get that are nothing more than astroturfing for some product?

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks, that's very true:)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  10. ffreeloader

That's an interesting link, Tinus. I didn't know IBM put out TCP/IP information, but I've looked at a lot of their other technical white papers and publications that they have on their site, and they are usually very good. I've used the IBM site as a resource a lot. Don't know why I never thought of them for TCP/IP information, but I never have.

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps, and I'll third it. Quite simply the most comprehensive book I've ever owned. Of course I haven't read it from cover to cover (even I'M not that sad) but every time I want an overview of something I turn to it - the basic explanations of BGP and OSPF are about the best I've read and there is some really good stuff earlier on in the book that demystifies the OSI model - making it simpler to understand than any other text I've read. As you would expect at over 1600 pages, its heavy on detail - but hey, that's what you want right? A comprehensive reference? This is it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Zeb, am definately going to purchase this book:) as its nice to get several comments from well known technical users and experts.