Tax to pay for fast net access

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Jun 16, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Tax to pay for fast net access

Every Briton with a fixed-line phone will pay a "small levy" of 50p per month to pay for faster net access.

The national fund created by the levy will be used to ensure most Britons get access to future net technologies.

The proposal is part of the Digital Britain report outlined by Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw in Parliament.

The report also includes a pledge to curb unlawful file sharing by giving regulator Ofcom new powers to identify persistent pirates.

Full story : here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dales
      dales
      I've considered cancelling the home phone line before and just picking up a mobile broadband package, not sure what sort of service I'd get though considering I'm out in the sticks. For the time being I'm reasonably happy paying what I do even though I never ever use the land line for calls, but I've always had a consistantly good level of service from the broadband package.

Not sure that mobile broadband could cope with sucking GB's worth of iso files from technet.

Yes its bad that we have to pay extra to bt and yes bt should pay out of their own profits for upgrading the 20 year old xmas fairy light cables they call an infrastructure, but meh 50p a month you'd hardly notice any difference.
    2. soundian
      soundian
      I.Hate.Politicians.
      "It's only £6 pounds a year". Yeah, at the moment. Classic political manoeuvring, before you can move the line in the sand, you have to draw it first. This is them drawing the line, watch how many times it moves (to our detriment) as time goes on and they decide people in the middle of nowhere need faster speeds. The tax won't disappear once the objectives have been reached either.
      Mind you, if I had an MPs salary, pension and ridiculous expenses (plus jobs for my family) I wouldn't give a toss about Joe Bloggs scraping a living at the minimum wage level.
      MPs need to get out and meet some real people.