Taught CIW Foundations

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Jebu, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Jebu

Jebu New Member

How were you taught CIW Foundations Course.

Was it a teacher who would just lecture, using lecture slides or any other materials.

How did your teacher or instructor teach the CIW Foundations course?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I didn't learn from an instructor... I learned from a book. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I aquired the level of knowledge required to pass the foundations exam as an unborn foetus.
    The hardest bit in the exam is having the hand-eye coordination to use a mouse.

:biggrin

Seriously though, it's not a tough exam.
    Just reading a book on the subject should be enough, although there is a danger that you'll over-study.
    When the syllabus says you need to know the difference between a router and a switch, it means know the most obvious difference and not anything scientific.

If you've got a fairly rounded knowledge of general I.T.ittery then you should be OK.
    I found that the only real challenge was the business fundamentals part as wou had to remember the current ****word for 'a meeting of designers and developers to establish the storyboard layout and customer profile of a website'.

The biggest challenge is that you only get a minute per question, so you don't get much review time.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I read the book, passed the exam. It was ok, but as I'm not a web developer per se, not sure it really helped me in any particular manner...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. Jebu

Jebu New Member

Thanks for the replies.

How long did it take you guys to learn all of the material for the Foundation exam?

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I spent about a month on it.
    But it was my first CIW cert, so I massively over-revised and made pages of notes etc.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Took a little less than a month for me. I just kinda skimmed through as I already knew and understood a fair bit of what was inside.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM