taking MCTS soon

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by b0ri0, Dec 24, 2007.

1. b0ri0

b0ri0 New Member

Hi everyone,

I want to take the MCTS , but I am worried that a new version might come up sometime soon.
    In other words I checked the MS learning center and I found out that MCTS is available now for .NET framework 2.0
    And was wondering what is the best to do , should I wait for the newer version ( no idea when is that happening) or should I just take what is available now?

Thanks.

2. wvroller

wvroller New Member

I'm facing the same situation. I've started studying for exam 70-536 which deals with the .NET Framework 2.0. I know tha 3.5 is on the horison so I've been wondering how much time to invest in the 2.0 certs. I would be interested in hearing what you decide to do and why. Good luck!

WIP: MCTS .NET Framework 2.0 Windows App
  3. dotNET

dotNET Bit Poster

I was worried about this too. However, I did some google'ing which put my mind at rest. Essentially, the way I interpret it is:

-.NET 2.0 is very different to the previous version of .NET 1.0. So, it seems to be much more logical to do MCTS (.NET 2.0) than MCAD (.NET 1.0).

-However, whereas .NET 2.0 totally replaced .NET 1.0, .NET 3.0 is not a replacement for .NET 2.0. It's essentially .NET 2.0 with some more functionality.

So, it looks like a large proportion of the new .NET 3.0 consists of the .NET 2.0.

Considering the .NET 3.0 exams haven't been released yet, I don't think any of us have time to hang around waiting for them to be. And you'll also have to wait for resources such as text Books and Transcender exams to be released for the new exams. I would also expect that there will be an upgrade exam to .NET 3.0 for people who have already done the .NET2.0 MCTS.

That's my take on it.

Good luck :D