Taking A+ today / a question........

Discussion in 'A+' started by StoneTZ, Oct 9, 2009.

1. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

Going for the "A+" today. I feel like I've studied really hard but wages are **** in Chile and this test is costing me about a month's pay. If I fail it...... not cool. That's the only reason I'm stressed. Not a big fan of Santiago either and I have to get on a bus in 2 hours.

Here's my question..

I got this on my confirmation email:

Appointment Length (minutes): 120

Accommodations:
    Time extension for non-native English speaker living in non-English-speaking country.

Adjustments: 30
    Total Session Length with adjustment (in minutes): 150

Okay, I speak English fairly well and unless I get the IT job that I'm interviewing for then I'm going to continue to teach English while I look. So this free time is just a bonus for me. Is this a Vue thing? Is this going to be on all my certs? For A+ I don't see me needing more time really. I'm sure 2 hours is over kill. 2.5 is way too much time. If I'm going for CCNA etc maybe it would be a huge bonus. Does this stop with Comptia? Anyone know?

I'll report back how I did tonight if I get home before my girlfriend. We're going to a park called "Siete tazas" (7 teacups) for the weekend.

Waterfalls etc it's beautiful

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+, CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not sure about Prometric, but with VUE the test centre could allow you an extra half hour if English wasn't your first language.

I'd call Prometric before you set off to check.
    You may need to nag the test centre about it too, because they won't do it unless you remind them.
    You may also need to take some documents with you - but I can't think what...

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

Two forms of ID with signature is what it said.

I'm worried about the signature portion.

I have my passport and a military ID.

I also have a debit card with signature and picture.

If I get denied because of this then I don't know what I'll do. I don't have any other options down here.

My Chilean ID is being processed and it takes forever, probably another 3 months. and I started the process in Feb I think.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes, two bits of signed ID - one with a photo on, is pretty much standard.

I meant that you might need to take something else to prove that English isn't your first language.
    Mind you, maybe the take it as read that in Chile the average punter may well not have English as a first language.

Mind you, your posts show an excellent grasp of English, so I wouldn't worry about the exam content if I were you.

5. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

English is my first language haha. I teach it too, so it's not an issue.
    Also if you need the extra 30 minutes and speak English well then I think you have issues with the material.
    At least on the A+ level. I'm not sure about Cisco certs. Time might be a lot more of an issue.

I took it yesterday and did well though. I was nervous as hell and worried I might fail the IT tech portion

I was done with each in about 20 minutes. I'm guessing that's average if you don't over analyze everything.

I got 750 on the essentials and 830 on the IT tech though. I'm not complaining.
    Everyone here was a big help and now it's on to Net+

Thanks!

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Congrats mate.

Sorry, picked up the wrong end of the stick from your OP.
    Thought you were asking abouth extra time for non-English speakers...

:blink

7. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

Thanks,

I was completely misleading. That was my fault.

I didn't ask for it (hadn't planned on needing it) but they gave me the time anyways.
    I was just curious if that is a Comptia thing or a Vue thing.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!