taking A+ OS before A+ Hardware!

Discussion in 'A+' started by salman79uk, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass! As you say, a pass is a pass! I tackled the exams hardware then OS so I could get the one I was more confident about out of the way so I could concentrate on the OS. It all comes down to if you're more hardware or software orientated and personal experience. Been building PCs for over 15 years but never really got down and dirty with the various OSes until quite recently. And when you say some "tricky" questions, I think you meant to say some "downright obscure, badly worded and in some cases all the options to choose from were wrong" type of questions.....

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass! Time for beer!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. salman79uk

salman79uk New Member

Exactly!

Also, there were some questions, like how many pins a particular CPU has, I didnt think I needed to memorise that kind of stuff, as I had never seen such a question before anywhere in my preparation.

4. hbroomhall

But the socket names are the pin count! So you should know it!

Harry.

5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

The one question that sticks in my mind was regards to attaching a 2nd drive to an existing IDE chain. Given the circumstances they'd listed (not going to repeat them as don't want to break that NDA!) the option I would have tried would have been to replace the IDE cable but that wasnt even listed. Grrr!

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  6. hbroomhall

I seem to remember one just like that! The obvious answer wasn't listed, so I had to choose from less good answers!

Harry.

7. salman79uk

salman79uk New Member

LOL, I didnt realise that till you mentioned it! :oops:

8. Ahmed121

Ahmed121 New Member

Hi Salman I understand that you are studying A+ OS & Hardware. I myself would like to do the same but don't have any idea who take the course with... PLEASE will u help me to find the right people to take the course. E.G (who you are taking the course with) Thanks.... 8) 8)

9. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Hello Ahmed.

I've chosen the self teach method for my A+,using Mike Meyers 5th Edition book and CBT Nuggets video training,plus help from various tech sites when I'm a little stuck!

You can elect to take your A+ through a local school or college if they support it.Check with your local authority.

Can you give us a little more info as to your location too?I'm sure if there are members in your locale they will be only too pleased to help with your question.

Good luck..

Certifications: A+ Network+
  10. salman79uk

salman79uk New Member

I am with Just IT!