Taking A Job When You Don't Feel Ready

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Nov 30, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi folks,

In a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I am working as a first line agent for a company that I have been with for 6 months. The company are not the nicest to work for, but I am learning so much. They have made it clear I am not ready for a 2nd line role skills wise, which has knocked my confidence a bit.

Previously I have worked for a large organisation on first line (log & pass mainly, not really technical) and then was promoted to 3rd line desktops. As said previously, I feel I was mainly promoted for my hard working nature and likability rather than my technical skills! In 3rd line I stagnated after the initial first couple of months, not learning anything new. After this I decided to drop back down to first line in my current role, for a smaller company supporting SME's where I get to experience all aspects of IT support, as I feel I missed out a lot of basic stuff with the larger organisation.

However, I went for an interview at another company for a 2nd line role and have landed the job, but I am feeling very unsure of myself and my skill set, and have not accepted the job. What do you guys think? Would you take a job that you do not feel ready for? It is a quite a big increase in money, but does mean an extra hour travelling a day, plus the company and employees seem really nice and laid back. I am just nervous I am not what they are expecting.

I feel like I need another 6 months in my current role to get the necessary experience of 1st line, but the money isn't great nor is the company. On the other hand if I turn down this 2nd line role I will regret it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Three questions for you:

1. Does this other company have a package (e.g. salary, pension, training etc) that appeals to you more than your current company?
    2. Does this new company offer prospects that are better in your view than your current company?
    3. From looking at this new roles job description and the interview, do you feel you know a number of the technologies well enough that you are going to be able to make a good go at the role?

You obviously need to do your due diligence as I certainly don't have all the facts around your circumstances to give a full answer but if you're answering yes to all three then considering this new role is a credible option in my view.

All the best with this.

exonje likes this.
  3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks for taking the time to reply crazy horse it is appreciated.

1. The package at the new role is amazing compared to my current place, salary is a big leap, training promised, pension contribution (which I don't get currently).
    2. Definitely, they were interested in where i see myself going, what technologies I am interested in etc
    3. The job description is very general and so were they in the interview, nothing specific. They seemed to be more interested in me as a person and my personality and how I would fit.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Take the job – 6 months in your current role isn’t going to make any noticeable difference.

Not sure what is going on at your current job – I always encourage the guys on the helpdesk at my current place of work to progress and show them a few things I’m working on to see what they might be doing in a few years once they get some experience. If these guys are saying you are not ready etc. for the next level up then move on – that will shut them up.

Once in your new job there will be areas you are unsure of – that’s always going to be the case in any job. Invest some time in these areas (lab work etc.) to get up to speed and then you wont look back.:)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    exonje likes this.
  5. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks Sparky, appreciated.

6. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I doubt spending more time at your current place will make you ready or feel ready for progressing.

Whenever you go for a new role there will be some (or loads) of software and technologies you don't have experience with. Your best bet is to really put the effort in during initial couple of months, see what they use, ask plenty of questions, make sure you understand how stuff works and their processes.

I was on second line at my previous job and it was mostly desktop support, my current one on second line we deal with servers (including DR recovery), networking and infrastructure. Job description had none of that:) looking back I'm really happy I went for it, it was overwhelming at the beginning though.

exonje likes this.
  7. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Thanks Nyx, your post has made me feel better about taking the job!

8. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Do not turn it down!

It is quite normal for most people to feel at least a little nervous. You are getting out of your comfort zone, so you may feel nervous and start to doubt your ability. If you don't get out of your comfort zone, you will not learn and progress and of course that's not what you want to do :)

You wouldn't want to go to a new job where you are not going to learn much or anything (otherwise you will bored); you want to gain new skills! No one expects you to know everything or remember everything. That's where google comes in :)

If you are determined and know where to look for answers or improve gaps in your knowledge, you won't have a problem.

What specific areas are you not confident about? I would perhaps familiarise yourself (quick google at the very least) perhaps to whatever technology/software etc that they use that you have no idea about.

exonje likes this.
  9. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

I haven't reverb, all taken care of today after a couple of hours of psyching myself up in work! I've identified some my weak points and have started studying already. I even went for another interview today, which went quite well and the technical test made me more aware of where my gaps are. I have 5 weeks before I start, which includes 2 whole weeks off over xmas. Plenty of time to get stuck into some labs!

10. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Every 2nd line has a mix of people who are in that role for the first time and others who have been there for 10 years. Willingness, curiosity, and enough sense not to bounce an SBS server on a Friday evening will get you by just fine.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    exonje likes this.
  11. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

My current workplace have come back with slightly more money and the promise of courses, which has thrown me a bit. It is also only 20 minutes away, and I feel I have a lot to learn here still as I am learning new bits every day. With the new role it can take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half with traffic! Argh! I have until tomorrow to give them my decision :juggle:

Do I take the 2nd line role, with an extra 1.5 hour travel time per day, more stress but more money (5k more but taking into account petrol and parking as smack in city centre). Or stay where I am, relatively low stress, not much money but learning, and just down the road!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

So which one did you go for?

13. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

If you accept the counter offer, i guarantee within a few months you'll regret not taking the new role (Done this myself)

I accepted a counter offer from my last job, and stayed for 3 months, eventually ended up looking again.

You look for new jobs because you're not 100% in your current role. Ask yourself this - if your current employer wanted to keep you and look after you, why did it take them until you were to resign to give you more money and courses?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    crazy horse likes this.
  14. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

This! I've know a number of people where this has happened and they've all left within 12 months.

15. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

I'm still at limbo guys, I have been offered 2 jobs with much better companies (original one from this thread included). Both companies are offering thew same salary increase but are the same distance travel wise. Both jobs would mean an extra 1.5 hours travelling a day though , but for an extra £100-150 a month after the additional petrol and parking costs are factored in. I've got it good currently location wise as Im only 20 minutes away with on site parking. I just cant make up my mind. Is the extra 1.5 hours on my day worth £100 a month?!