Taking A+ certification tests soon

Discussion in 'A+' started by ayv, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

Hello all,

Recently (since the end of September), I've been really into making sure that I am able to take the A+ exam before the cutoff date for three-year renewals. I took a practice test from the TotalSeminars CD I got with my book without cracking open a single book and relying only on whatever knowledge I had previously when I did a support tech training class as well as building many computers from the ground up, and failed with 64%, my weaknesses primarily being in networking, printers, and specifics on setting up the operating system.

I recently took these and other free practice tests again and I am continuing to not score so well, ranging from the mid to high 70s on most tests. I also recently took the CompTIA practice test and got 20 out of a possible 30 questions right.

This was all for the 701 I might add, for the 702 my scores were slightly lower but were generally problematic in the same areas (high 60s to mid 70s with issues in networking and OS setup).

I was hoping to be able to take this test in November and then start studying for Network+ straight after, but I think at this rate it might be better for me to just focus on and pass the 220-701 and 702 before January. If anyone can give me any insight on where to go from here it would be appreciated (or places to get any better practice tests for not thousands of dollars)! Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I found my A+ exam was easier than the practice exams i had done. There was not much focus on printers but i would read up on laser printers thats the only one that went into any depth. If i were you i would buy the All in one study guide and read the chapters you are falling down on. There is also a question and answers book by comptia which has about 600 questions in which are pretty similar to the real exam. http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-2009-Q-LLC/dp/1435454901/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1287394556&sr=8-28 I had the 2006 version of this book. good luck

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should not do the same practice exams again. You will give yourself a false sense of security because subconciousley you will be remembering the questions and answers.

Buy some proper exam questions fro the like of Transcender, Boson or preplogic and you will have lots and lots of questions to try and answer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Thats what happened to me with measure-up exams, I was constantly getting in the high 90's, but when sitting the exam struggled a bit so shop around for different exams and good luck....:D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  5. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

I have actually considered this. The price seems a bit steep but when thinking about it would I rather have spent $400-450 for the practice tests and the vouchers total or $550+ retaking the same test more than once...

Thanks for this suggestion, I'll most likely be looking into this, in addition to possibly finding the Comptia suggested books as well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

I started doing this about a week ago and have been slowly going through and taking notes on the 701 section so far and will be looking at the 702 section shortly. It's definitely a great resource, but I think what I definitely need are more practice problems like the ones I'll be certain to see on the test.

8. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

My experience with the good practice exams (PrepLogic, Boson, Transcender, uCertify come to mind) have lead me to believe that they are harder than the real thing. My first passes through them are always lower than my actual compTIA exam scores. My guess is that if you can get an 80% or better on the first try of one of these exams that you'll probably ready!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  9. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

Haven't updated the situation in a while! Anyways...

I already ordered two exam vouchers for the Comptia A+ exams but I have yet to schedule the exam(s)-- with any hope I plan to schedule the 701 for the end of November and possibly the 702 for the week after.

I've finished all of the 701 videos from professormesser, started on the 702, and have also taken a close look at any sections that I ended up not doing well on with the practice tests I now have.

I got a second book with Q&As only but it doesn't seem to be that great or accurate, but I figure for $18 what else are you going to do?

I'm highly considering purchasing test questions from Boson soon, but I'm not completely certain yet whether I will or not... $200 still seems steep even with the $290 I spent for the vouchers.

I also intend on starting the 70-680 eventually, but that's for another time and another thread in another forum :p

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would encourage you to download demos of each exam to see them firsthand. :)

Measure twice, cut once. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

I'm still thinking about it... possibly after I finish all the other books of questions I have stacked first, though.

I scheduled the test for Dec 6, about 2 1/2 weeks from now. My scores are a bit higher since I've started and I've been reviewing more each day but I figured I needed to take the test sooner and not later. If I pass the 701, I'll more than likely be taking the 702 the following week or so.

12. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Morning All,

Thought I would jump in and add my Two Pence worth.
    Passed the 701 in November with a passing score of 700.

I made the schoolboy error of using the same Test Exams over and over so subconciously (Spelling?!?!) I was remebering the answers. I have now booked the 702 for Dec 10th (as its the only date I could get) which gives me a good four weeks of reading and checking my Messers notes.

All I can say is take your time, dont rush and it will all come flooding back. I did rush a few questions (hence the 700) and I must admit, some of the questions were worded so badly it was a joke, but hey ho, a pass is a pass.

Good luck buddy.

13. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

I'm still a little worried, studying as much as possible, put together a few notecards to guess off of, and I still feel that I'm a bit underprepared despite doing okay on every practice test that I've managed to get.

Well, I guess we'll know Monday.

14. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

762 on the 701.
    Taking the 702 next week, continuing preparing for it!

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations!

17. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  18. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! Study hard for the next one!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  19. ayv

ayv Bit Poster

Definitely on it, I've been reading up as much as I can this whole week in addition to taking what practice tests I've got available to me.

Thanks everyone for the congrats, here's hoping for a good score on Monday!

20. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

weldone

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA