Taken the plunge!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simongrahamuk, Jun 30, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, after weeks of indecision today I decided to buy the first piece of computer kit that I will actually own in 6 years..(NoelG's gona hate me!)....a MacBook!

All of the comptuers that I have access to are wither work ones or family ones, so I decided to buy my own for once!

Why a Mac? Well, lets just say I'm a little bored with Windows, and don't feel fully comfortable with Linux. Something else that appealed to me is that the Hardware is made by the same people who make the software, and that way I know that there will be no compatibility issues. Something else was that I can Install Virtual PC for Mac onto it and still play with all of my Windows Labs!

Looking forward to a new experience! :)

Now, I just got to wait for it to turn up, and figure out how to pay for it! :(

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LOL you silly boy! :dry you dont like linux or windows so get onto a Mac? :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And, of course, under the hood a Mac is a version of FreeBSD, you can get to grips with some *nix stuff if you want as well!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That was a factor in my decision I have to admit! 8)

5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

you could always install boot camp and put XP on a separate partition for those apps you can't live without :)

A mate of mine has just bought one and he loves it, won't let xp anywhere near it :D

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Simon, Simon, Simon...why? I hope u wont be using software like Adobe or anything along those lines cos they wont work, plus if u have a USB modem (which I am sure u dont) that wont work on it either...if I were u...I would wait until later in 2007 before getting any of the Intel based Macs...and also there a few modem routers that also wont work with them...which I dont know as I have to come across any customer who has had this problem...I can see the phone call happening already...but hey if thats what u want then go for it mate...just make sure u take out Apples extended warranty cos u will need it believe u me...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

and u know where I am if u need help...:biggrin :dry

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And experience on Mac's is important and will come in handy for any IT pro.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Why? Macs are regarded very highly in the graphics industry, and everyone in the graphics industry uses Adobe products.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Let us know how you get on Simon. I have it in the back of my mind to get a Mac at some point - I would be interested to hear the opinions of someone who isn't bitter and twisted from working for Apple (@Noel :tongue )!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

_omni_ I am talking about using them on the new Macs with the Intel processors...I have had customers who have had to take their machines back because their old version of Adobe and that (namely CS2 and others) wont work and they were told by the Sales people it would work and then its upto us to tell them otherwise. So thats why. Otherwise people use PowerMac G5 with the Quad PowerPC Processors or PowerBooks.

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

in our call centre Baba everyone (well apart from a few who have been turned to the Dark Side lol) hates Apple and Macs but hey its a job at the end of the day...I mean u talk about Boot Camp being able to dual boot XP and Mac OS X...where as my machine at home has XP Home, XP Pro and Vista and when I get my new AMD X2 processor, it will have XP Home, XP Pro 64 and Vista 64...who says u cant have a PC (Proper Computer)? :biggrin incidentally with Boot Camp u can install Vista but it wont work as a dual boot so u have to remove Mac OS X first...erm hello? dont people realise that Vista will not run alongside Mac OS X? honestly some people...haha...

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Noel, do you use Mac's when you're at work? I mean for logging calls etc? Would be interesting to find out that an Apple Call Centre used PC's! :biggrin

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I wish we used PCs Si...nah we use Macs but we use eMacs (dear GOD!!) and apparently the call centre in Cork, Ireland use iMacs but I know someone who works there and they say most of them use eMacs...haha...