Take XK0-002 or wait for XK0-003 in Jan?

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by The Chef, Nov 25, 2009.

1. The Chef

The Chef New Member

Hi guys,

I am planning to take the Linux Plus exam pretty soon (was looking to book as soon as possible).

The old 2004 exam (XK0-002) is available to book now on Pearson Vue's website.

But I have heard the new 2009 exam (XK0-003) will be released in January (beta trials have finished).

Is it worth me waiting another month or two for the new one, or shall I just exam out of the way asap (since I need to study PHP, MySQL etc. after this).

I heard the new one is significantly harder, but will it carry any more weight/respect? (being a lot newer and more up to date, and probably harder).

Thanks for any comments/advice.

WIP: Linux +, MCSE
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think it’s entirely up to you. When I sat the Security+ I had the choice of the 2005 or the 2008 and went for the 2008. The new exam covered securing virtual servers which was very handy to learn.

Best advice I can give is to compare the objectives for each exam and see if there's anything in the newer exam that you know could be useful to the career path you want to take. If nothing much has changed, sit the old one as they don't expire but personally, I was glad I chose the 2008 for what its worth.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. The Chef

The Chef New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

To be honest I am really overdue for this and need to get it out of the way so might just book the 2004. But will take another quick look at the objectives (they seemed similar enough when I glanced them).

Perhaps I'm just fussing too much as it's supposed to be an "entry level" certification anyway (nothing like RHCE or MSCE, still got a mountain to climb for certs/experience). I would have gone the LPI route already except that CompTIA is much more recognisable.

But yeah, thanks again for the quick reply. Much appreciated :)

WIP: Linux +, MCSE
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I would have another look at LPIC if you have a genuine interest in Linux, if you just have a passing interest Linux+ is ok.

I've heard the old Linux+ seemed to be a cross between the A+ and Linux so was mostly hardware questions and not really a Linux exam.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009