Take CCNP without taking CCNA?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Antonis, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Antonis

Antonis New Member

I am currently in the last module (semester) of the CCNA academy, which is due to end October 26th. I have not taken my official CCNA exam yet. However the same academy I attend at is also offering the CCNP classes, starting October 4th. I want to take the classes, which are divided into 3 modules (Route, Switch, T-shoot). My purpose is to take the official Cisco CCNP exams at the end of each module (i.e 642-902 ROUTE at the end of the first module etc).

The problem is that since CCNA and CCNP academies will overlap for the month of October, I will not have enough time to prepare for the official Cisco CCNA exam, since CCNP would have already started. Is it possible to take the official Cisco CCNP exams, pass them, but not receive the certifications until I pass my CCNA exam, which I intend to take as soon as CCNP ends?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

You won't be able to take the CCNP exams until you have the CCNA - it's a prerequisite.
    However, taking the courses shouldn't be a problem.

Just take a couple of days off to prep for the CCNA at the end of October, shouldn't be a problem...

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Will they actually prevent you from taking? I wouldn't have thought so (mm $$), I would think it would simply be a case that you won't be a CCNP even if you pass the exams until you've passed the CCNA exams as well.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If i remember rightly, the option to book the exam wasn't there until i had my CCNA passed.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Even if they can't physically prevent you from sitting the exam, they could certainly withold your certification if you pass.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

You can sit the course and complete the exams. All that happens is that you are not awarded the CCNP certification until you pass the CCNA.

I'd really advise squeezing it in though, the CCNP exams are hard enough. A heads up on the feel of the question styles from the CCNA will really help you out. Half the battle seems to be deciphering the questions.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

As billyr posted above, you'll be able to take the courses and exams, but you will not be awarded any certifications until you pass the CCNA.

8. EvilBee

EvilBee New Member

Do the CCNA if you can beacause you wont get CCNP status without it

Certifications: CCNA,CCNP,CCIP,CCNAV,CCNAS,CCDA,MCDST