Take a look at this. It is pretty incredible

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by ffreeloader, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I played sports--basketball, football, baseball, volleyball, tennis, and "soccer"--all the way through high school, and have watched sports ever since on TV. I've never, ever, seen anything that comes even close to this play, in any sport, at any level of sport, at any time. It makes the "Music City Miracle" play between the Tennessee Titans and the Buffalo Bills during the NFL playoffs a few years ago look like an every day occurrence.

http://fixyourthinking.com/2007/10/whats-been-going-on-in-last-week.html

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

The link points to a weblog on a law suit for defamation. Nothing to do with sports. Or am I missing the clue?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Im confused. That link is to an article about a blogger winning against a lawsuit. I thought it was supposed to be something about sport.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. ffreeloader

Well, that's weird. It seems I can't link to a specific article on that web site. I can't even link to the front page of it. The video I was trying to point to can be reached by clicking the "fixyourthinking.com" link in the banner at the top of the page that the link I posted takes you to, and then scrolling down to the Witness History entry. You'll see the video entry there.

Sorry about that. I didn't realize the knot head had messed with the linking on his site that way. I had gone to the Witness History page, copied the link in the address bar from that page, but the site pushes everything to his lawsuit page. It's the only thing he'll allow anyone to link to. I can't believe he does that.

5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i don't get it, they scored a touch down :confused3

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, but what a way to score it -, down by 2 in the 4th with only 2 seconds left on the clock and on your own 32 yard line - damn, wot a mad play that was. Hope Coach Gibbs dont see that because he likes the odd trick play and may just write that one in :twisted:

I liked it:D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. Tinus1959

Seen the clip, but I wonder what is wrong. In the first second of the clip you see the scoreboard and the clock is on 0:02. I guess that is two seconds and that is exactly what the commentator says. Well, these are the longest two seconds I have ever seen. They last for close to a minute, so or the scoreboard is broken, or the guy who had to start the clock fell asleep, or the clock is operate by microsoft, a company famous for there time indications :biggrin

8. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Naah Tinus, no broken clock. In american foorball, once a play starts it is left to run even if the game clock runs out in the middle of the play. They could have snapped the ball with just 1 second left or kicked a field goal (if they were close enough) and even though the clock ran out the play will stand because it was "live" when the clock ended. In those circumstances, the game ends when the play comes to an end, no matter how that is. Unless, of course, there was a defensive penalty, in which case ......... well, thats just complicating things I suppose :D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Suffice it to say that the game cannot end on a defensive penalty (unless the offense declines the penalty), and the offense would be given another "final play".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Tinus1959

There was a fourth option: I do not know the rules. :biggrin
    Thanks for explaining.

11. Tinus1959

Right! I see.... I think.... not really.
    I lost you.

12. ffreeloader

A game cannot end on a defensive penalty. If it could, then the defense would do anything to stop the last play for the offense, including breaking the rules of the game just to get the game over with and win. This rule stops that sort of shenanigans cold and gives the offense a shot at a legit play to win.

Here's a for instance. Say the offense sends a receiver down field to catch a pass. The defender sees he's beaten and the receiver is going to catch the ball and score, so he just tackles the receiver before the receiver can catch the ball, thus breaking up the play. That's against the rules and a defensive penalty. If the game could end on a defensive penalty he'd be rewarded for his breaking of the rules because his team would have just won. This way, the offense gets the results of the penalty, and another play because of what the defender did. It's a great rule. It enforces self-discipline on the defense. It makes them NOT want to break the rules.

There was actually an example of this happening in the NFL playoffs a few years ago, and the officials blew the call. They flat out didn't throw a flag. The defensive team won because a defender tackled the receiver that was just about to catch a pass and win the game, and the pass fell incomplete. There were a lot of angry people over that one, because the game should not have been over, and the wrong team won.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have I gone nuts since when can you do a play like that?

or is college football different.

I have only seen NFL before.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Tinus1959

Thanks for explaining Freddy. I get the picture.

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Holy shite - that is outrageous!

For the uninitiated, a 'lateral' is a pass made backwards - there is nothing illegal about it. So long as the ball isn't thrown forward beyond the line of scrimmage, the play is legal, and there are no limits to the amount of laterals in a play.

That is ridiculous though.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That was crazy! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It is the same in the NFL. The Titans' "Music City Miracle" involved a lateral (that Bills' fans continue to believe was a forward pass).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never seen such a play.

I have seen a double pass (don't know technical term) before but never like that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

2 secs...woah the NFL has perfected bullet time that looked a lot longer than 2 seconds lol :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640