System State Backup (DPM2010)

Discussion in 'Software' started by LukeP, Jun 14, 2010.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi

What exacly is backed up with DPM 2010 -> Win 2008 R2 System state backup?

If I'm backing up domain controllers with it will it back up AD CS certs or LDAP config?

I've tested DC System State and it works fine restored on clean install. But I haven't tested Certificate Services or LDAP. Will it work?

Going for BMR option adds to size of the backup which I would like to avoid if possible.
    DC's are nothing else but DC's.

Also for a DR scenario if you have both DC's backed up, would you recover just one and than add additional DC to a domain (I guess messy as old DC will still exist in the domain from backup) or would you restore them both?

Thanks in advance for all the wise words of wisdom. :)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Surely that depends on what the server is doing, if as you mentioned it's only doing AD and not doing CS then it won't be backing up the CS, to backup the CS I would have to assume that you would put an agent onto the CS server and then it would back up that data.

As far as DC's go, if you have all the FSMO roles on one server then you would just restore that server, if however you have placed the FSMO roles on different machines then you should ideally restore both (of course it depends on the actual FSMO role).

I am guessing that you added the Windows Server Backup to allow you to actually capture the System State data? this is something new to 2008 servers, it's ok if you're doing it to 2003 servers as that will still work but it won't with 2008.

The nice thing with BMR is that it doesn't require and additional server (unlike SRT which does). To be honest only you can decide how important the servers are but if you can I would go for BMR.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If the second DC is RODC (read only domain controller) then you can delete it from AD and then add another DC to the recovered domain as needed.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks!

I'd like 2 DC's, one holding all FSMO roles and CS, second one having only DS role installed.
    Both are VM's so no BMR is not a dealbreaker here. I've got VM template so recovering System State on it is fairy quick. Obviously VM's are on different hosts.

How do you do BMR recovery to a virtual machine? Is the benefit big enough to justify additional 10-15GB of backup space/time?

I've also installed SharePoint 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2 on 2 other VM's (8GB RAM and 2GB RAM) and playing with backing it up too. Backing up SQL Server couldn't be easier than in DPM I think. Backing up SharePoint doesn't seem to be clear though.
    I can back up shares, volumes, BMR and system state. I assume that BMR does the job but I was thinking what is there to back up on SharePoint server. It's IIS only isn't it? So System State won't do it as it will not back up IIS websites.

Thanks!

What about RW DC's can you not delete them? I know it used to be messy and manual job to remove the entries but I think with 2008 (or R2) if you click delete DC from AD Users and Computers it will clean up AD for you. (Not 100% sure but I think that's how it is).

EDIT: Cleaning AD metadata - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(WS.10).aspx

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

True, but you can save yourself the hassle by making it a RODC as you can then just delete it from AD.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs