System Restore

Discussion in 'A+' started by robbo1962, Sep 12, 2006.

1. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

does anyone know how much hard drive space is taken up by a System Restore function, the reason i ask is that by default most settings i have seen are 12% of the H/D which in my case is about 3 Gigs this seems a big % of a H/D to tie up.

Certifications: A+
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi robbo,

12% is the default (and I believe maximum) space System Restore uses. To change it, go to System Properties (right-click on My Computer), go to the System Restore tab and choose settings. You can change the disk space it uses or disable it entirely (not recommended).

HTH :D .

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

yes it takes up to 12% if your hdd is over 4gbs, and if its under 4gbs then i think it takes only 400mbs...

you can change how much space you want to allocate it, right click my computer -> properties -> system restore -> move slider (on XP)

4. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

thanks, i know how to change it what i wanted to know was how much space does a single system restore function take up.

Certifications: A+
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I see, well I guess that depends on several factors such as the size of your registry and any other files it backs up. I don't know if each system restore point is incremental, in which case it would depend on how many changes have been made to the system since the last one. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

XP System Restore points are incremental.

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST