System Restore Disk ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakamoko, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

At last - Gav's Dumb question of the week again !

On a System Restore disk (as bundled with a Time machine :sickR ), is this just purely an image of the OS for restoring, or does it contain drivers for the hardware in the machine it came with ?

My bro-in-law (why is it always the in-laws ???) has a corrupt video driver, and the download from ATI didn't match his h/w description. But, a couple of years ago, I installed Windows ME on his machine, and no further drivers were required, so clearly the ME disk has the correct driver on it. Unfortunately, he's a bit of a distance away, so it's not too easy to physically get there with the disk.

He can get the Restore disk no probs, so if the driver was on that, then we should be laughing.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No restore disk guru here, I'm afraid. The best I can do is a couple of shots in the dark ("Shot in the Dark"...Great Peter Sellers film. The screen debut of Inspector Clouseau...No, it wasn't the "Pink Panther after all).

Oh..."adult hat". Right. Here's the links:

www.aarp.org/computers-howto/Articles/a2003-09-26-systemrestore.html

www.compukiss.com/sandyclassroom/tutorials/article1010.htm?link=article

Ok, so the first link is for old people. Sue me. Sometimes, they have good info.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks Trip - I fear it may come down to using System Restore - I just think that's a bit like admitting defeat :cry:

Oh well, we'll see...

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've seen different types of restore disks over time. I've seen some that are a true ghost image and the restore disk even has ghost as part of the restore, I've also had them that install windows, apps and drivers but also contain the drivers in a directory on the disk.

I know the last Time PC I ever restored had the drivers in a directory on the CD but that may not apply to all Time pc's

Si
    :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Si - the more I think about this, I did once work on a Time box for someone else a while back.

He wanted a clean out-the-box Windows install, not the Time version (ie I told him that was what he wanted) After the install, I used his restore disk to dust down the last of the drivers that Windows couldn't find.

That's great, Guys - thanks for making me wake up and use my noodle :hammert