System drive H ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisH, Jul 5, 2006.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

Hi
    I've just built myself a new computer. I have a sata hd connected to sata1 and my dvdrw on IDE0 as master. I also have an internal card reader.

I've just installed XP home and my system drive is drive H after all the removable media drives. I assume this is due to the order in which Windows allocates drive letters to devices.

Is there a way to install XP and get my system drive to be drive C or do I just get use to using drive H instead?

Regards
    Chris

WIP: A+
  2. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

As far as I know you can't change the drive letter once Windows is installed. Quite suprised that Windows has put all those removable media drives before the system drive.

If you fancy reinstalling Windows you could disconnect the card reader then install Windows, and reconnect once Windows is up and running.
    Might be easier sticking with H: :D

EDIT: It seems MS agree with me (more or less) :) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326683/

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Chris,

How many drives have you altogether?
    A and B are reserved for floppy, starting with C for the hard drive.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Back up, unplug all external drives, reinstall and then restore your data.

What was the C: drive just out of interest? I’ve seen the system drive being D: or E: but never H: :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

it can be H: depending on how many other drives our friend has on his system...but like the others have said Chris remove all other drives first...but if I am guessing right the internal ones will already have data on them and therefore Windows chose H instead of C, because if u did have C already then u clearly had something on it hence Sparky asking what was on the C drive. So really I would unplug all the other drives and start again...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have built/rebuilt a few XP machines in which the system drives were G: and above. They all used SATA drives as the system drive, had existing IDE drives in them and had several removable media drives.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

ChrisH,

Before you try to change something, I have to ask a question. Is the computer malfunctioning because the system drive is named H:?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

May be a daft question but have you got a partitioned HD at all, seems strange for all them letters etc ??

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was about to ask that, if the comp is functioning fine with the system drive as H, I'd be inclined to leave it as it is.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

Sorry should have replied sooner but I was fixing the computer. Thanks for all the replies.

I managed to get it sorted by disconnecting the internal usb cable that links the multicard reader to USB header 5 and moving the DVD drive from IDE0 Master to IDE1 Master. When reinstalling XP the SATA drive was given letter C so all good. Reconnect the multi card reader and they've been assigned E,F,G and H.

There must be a conflict or something between IDE0 and SATA1 (SATA1 also being known as IDE2 in bios) as when my system drive was H I could not run the motherboard driver CD, just kept giving I/O error 23 which doesn't mean anything to me. Works fine now.

Thanks.

WIP: A+