System / bootup files - help needed !

Discussion in 'A+' started by Flamehearted, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Flamehearted

Flamehearted Nibble Poster

Hiya all,

Me again - the A+ novice ! Would someone mind checking the below for me to see if I have understood it properly ?

To boot windows 9x/me need the files : IO.SYS + MSDOS.SYS+COMMAND.COM. Also need the himem.sys to load the GUI

The registry is made up of two files : system.dat and user.dat

To boot Windows NT,2000 and xp need the files : NTLDR + BOOT.INI + NTDETECT.COM + NTBOOTDD.SYS

The MBR or MFT starts up NTLDR which then reads the BOOT.INI files to find where the operating system resides.

NTDETECT.COM then detects the hardware installed and boots the system

win.ini and system.ini are legacy 3.x files but dont really do anything now.

Config.sys and autoexec.bat are ????????/

Well Im a bit stuck on the last two.

Any help really appreciated - youll go to silicon heaven :hug

Martin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

How about I take a look at your last request.

For a definition of config.sys, look here:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CONFIG_SYS.html

For a definition of autoexec.bat, look here:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/a/autoexec_bat.html

Webopedia provides pretty understandable and bite sized definitions so hopefully those links will be clearer than some of the other stuff you'll find.

The link below should provide some basic info about both config.sys and autoexec.bat.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/configsys.htm

I'll let someone else tackle your other questions. I don't typically keep that kind of info on the tip of my tongue and would have to look it up. You might try using Google to check out your understanding to see if you can find some sources to confirm your understanding. Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Flamehearted

Flamehearted Nibble Poster

Hi again Tripwire - I hope they pay you for all this good advice :inc

You mean you don't have every piece of information in the world in your head ? What the world coming too ? :shocked

Hehe

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hardy har har. :rolleyes: Nah, nobody gets paid here. It's all voluntary. That's one of the reasons I really admire SimonV for inventing the thing and Gav for riding herd on the whole project. We are just a community of like-minded folks who want to help each other out in the pursuit of a career in IT. Glad we can be of service.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You only need NTBOOTDD.SYS when you need to boot from a SCSI device.

Config.sys and Autoexec.bat are also legacy files but are also checked on startup. Anything in them is also then merged with the registry.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685