Syncing Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Luddym, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

We currently sync the data on one of our servers to a SAN, so that when a user deletes something they shouldn't, we don't always have to go back to tape to restore their files.

We use syncback but I've never been a huge fan, does anyone know of any other products for such a job?

Thanks in advance guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Doesn't windows already have the ability to do this? With [url="http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Windows-Server-2003-Volume-Shadow-Copy-Service.html]volume shadow copy[/url]? You may need to set it up, but if you right click on a folder/file, theres a 'previous versions' tab, which is supposed to allow you to restore files that have been deleted automatically.

Its a limited buffer, since I believe it only stores so much, but then, thats all you are looking for. Anything older than a day or two, and you will need to go back to the backups anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Exactly what Ferg said. At work we use a combination of shadow copies and tape backups to restore data for users.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. sebstah

sebstah Nibble Poster

same situation as Q, volume shadow and folder redirection for users and tape backup's

Certifications: A+,70-270,70-290
    WIP: 70-620
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

As per the others tho' I have used (for a small number of critical users/execs) online backup so they can pull files down from home etc. as well (need to watch versions/data integrity) - something like www.backupdirect.net works well and has better support than the equivalent product from BT.

There is also a server version of this if required and they do free trials.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

I hadn't even thought of using Shadow Copy, but in this situation I think you guys are right.

Thanks again guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The additional benefit is that, you can teach users how to use it, thus reducing moronic - I deleted my files - issues.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present