Sync

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jackd, May 19, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Does anyone know how to disable synchronization of files/folders. I know i can disable it by logging on to everyones acounts and manually disabling it, but is there a quicker way. I have a windows 2000 Advanced Server running. synchronization is not hapening on the server just on the clients. Any ideas how i could stop synchronization automatically.

Jack

EDIT:Ive tried doing the options in group policy but that doesnt make a difference

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jackd,

Questions:
    1) Do you have a Windows 2000 domain? If so, mixed mode or native mode?
    2) What kind(s) of clients do you have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

What files are being synchronized, and with what are the synchronizing? If they are synching with the server, this is what they should do. And if it is Office Files you are talking about, the controls may be in Office rather than in AS.

Another thing you could use is AD permissions. Deny execute should work. :hhhmmm

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Its a windows 2000 domain in mixed mode, and the clients are running either winxp or win2000 professional. In profiles in ad ive set it up so its got roaming profiles. And ive mapped a home directory for each user. So its the home directory thats getting syncronized.

Jack

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm, well I don't know 2k Group Policy as well as 2k3. Certainly in a native 2k3 envoironment you can disable offline files completely via GP or alternatively prevent non admin users from altering the already existing offline files settings.

One other way that might work for you, if you can't do this via GP due to 2k limitations is using local security policies and apply them via a login script. (ie, prepare a new local secpol template with offline files disabled, then apply it via the login script). Prepare a special user account for the purpose, then logon with it on each PC, then logoff, job done.

I 'think' you could do it that way, just a thought off the top of my head though. If it worked, it would be much quicker than logging in as an admin, and manually disabling the feature etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

How would i create a secpol template

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just had a look at the XP local security settings, I can't see anything to prohibit offline files at the mo, will have a look later m8, gotta go out now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jackd,

Did you know that the roaming profile itself is located in the home directory on the server that is synchronized with the server to client at domain user login and logout? So by disabling synchronization, you are essentially turning the roaming profile into a defacto mandatory profile. So I have to ask, why do you need to interfere with synchronization?

9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yes but it syncronizes the home directory when it logs off. A dialog box comes up and it syncronnizes and it sometimes takes ages.

Jack

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jackd,

Questions:
    1) What speed is the client's NIC operating at?
    2) What category patch cable is used from the client to the network wall jack? Has it been certified for category specifications?
    3) Is there a networking device for the room/area that the client is located in? If so, what is it? Hub? Switch? Router?
    4) What category cabling is used for the channel from the client computer area to the server room? Has the channel been certified to category specifications?
    5) What kind of networking device does the channel terminate in near the server? A hub? Switch? Router?
    6) What category cabling is used between the server room networking device to the server? Has that cabling been certified to category specifications?
    7) What speed is the server NIC operating at?

Sounds more like a network bandwidth bottleneck issue than a necessity to disable synchronization.

11. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

That is because any changes to the desktop that the user is making has to be updated to the roaming profile. That is sort of the nature of the beast in roaming profiles. You could either turn off roaming profiles, or, if that is needed because the users do not have permanently assigned workstations, do as Modey has said, make a de facto mandatory profile.

One of the complaints about Win2k was the slowness of startup and shutdown in a domain. Since the machine will shut itself off, the user does not have to sit there and wait for it to finish, they can just initiate the shutdown and leave.

Another thing to look at is as r.h.lee has mentioned, take a look at the hardware involved and see if any bottlenecks there can be addressed such as bandwidth or processor power. :hhhmmm

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  12. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Ahh it was a bottle neck. some one set the port on my managed switch that connects the server to the network to 10mbps. :x Grr Whos been messing with my switches :dry

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Probably this ferret wearing bunny ears :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009