Symantec sees an Achilles' heel in Vista

Discussion in 'News' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Symantec sees an Achilles' heel in Vista

Some of Microsoft's efforts to make Windows Vista its most stable and secure operating system ever could cause instability and new security flaws, according to a Symantec report.

Researchers at Cupertino, Calif.-based Symantec examined the new networking technology in recent test releases of Vista, Microsoft's next major operating system release, according to the report. They found several security bugs and determined that Vista's networking technology will be less stable, at least in the short run, than Windows XP's, the report said....

To read the rest of the article, click here...

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zimbo
      zimbo
      LOL i can see it now... Vista with SP100! :clap but mind you thats why we have BETA's to get over these things so lets see what happens...
    2. snoopy51
      snoopy51
      haha, Symantec is actually verified that Microsoft is doing its job properly. Please note in the article:

Meanwhile, the Beta is up to 5472. That is many beta releases since 3270. In other words, this confirmed that Microsoft's new Security Development methodology worked as planned.

In essence, Symantec wrote up a report on flaws that no longer exist!

Yes, development of OS is extremely complex and need years of experience to mature. I see this as an advertisement for Symantec in their work.

Does this means that Microsoft One Care is causing Symantec on the offensive now?
    3. GW
      GW
      Also note:

When writing anything about beta versions of the software you got to expect that it could be invalidated by the next beta release. Personally, I don't think Symantec is in the wrong on its report, it is pointing out problems that may or may not get fixed by the time the software is released, but it is also making Microsoft really work hard to make sure that the software is secured on all fronts before being released.

I don't care how many times Microsoft has to push back the release date on the software, I would rather wait a long time for it to be released than have it released with known bugs in the software or major bugs that would have been discovered in a longer beta testing.

There is going to be bugs and security vulnerabilities when Microsoft releases the OS, that is to be expected, but hopefully in the lifespan of the OS there will be a lot less found than in past OS'es such as Windows XP.

GW
    4. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      I know the MS fans don't like it, but Symantec has a valid point. Instead of using the XP network stack MS created a completely new one. It took years to solidify all of the network stacks in existance today, and MS's new network stack is going to take a long time to get the bugs out of it too. That means a whole new round of network vulnerabilties for a few years that are going to be specific to Vista, especially when MS's history of releasing buggy OS's is taken into account.
    5. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      I was a bit surprised when I heard that they had done a new stack from scratch.

The original one in the early days was in fact bought-in (as M$ do so often).

There is a *lot* of complexity and subtlety in the TCP/IP system, and I find it very difficult to believe that anyone would build it again without having a *lot* of problems.

Harry.