Switching careers into IT. MS cert first before linux?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by pood, Oct 17, 2012.

1. pood

pood New Member

I've been working as an SEO the last 8 years or so and I'm planning to switch to the IT field. I have worked with both linux and windows server stuff consistently to manage some of my sites, but never part of my job description, and mostly toy with them when something breaks. I know how to code in RoR and Java, maybe medium ability, but I haven't developed any large scale sites, more of just hacking.

Since I'll need to start from the beginning again because of my lack of experience, I was thinking of starting at a support role. Do you guys think it's better for me to get a MS cert before switching over to Linux. I originally planned to get my Linux+ since a lot of the technologies I currently use are hosted in Linux, but from the current job market and the people I know in the Seattle, are all microsoft shops. Does it make more sense for me to get a MCITP Enterprise Administrator cert first instead of the Linux+ cert? I'm also planning to get CCNA down the line (went through the first course last year, not a huge fan, but I know it's a necessity). At the moment, I'd really like to get my foot in the door and get real world experience even if it means doing low level helpdesk.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

The starter cert is the A+. The Enterprise Admin qualification is a very high level qualification.

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Sorry to say this but you're not really experienced enough for the MCITP EA certification, that's aimed at the server engineer with 18 - 24 months working with the product, not someone just coming into the field.

Also the CCNA is not a necessity, yes I took the exam years ago but I can honestly say it hasn't held my career back by not having an up to date CCNA certification (I couldn't do anything with a router\switch these days simply because I don't have the experience of the cli).

As Ade has mentioned I would probably go down the A+ or N+ route first, get some experience under my belt and start looking at more advanced certifications once you have that experience.

Experience is key when it comes to work, certifications really are a second requirement rather than first.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. pood

pood New Member

Isn't a A+ kind of pointless? I've actually been building and troubleshooting computers since the mid 90s as an hobby. Got a decent paying help desk job right out of college ($18/hr) without any certs, till I got a better offer as an SEO. Now I look back, wished I stayed in IT. doh.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The A+ should be fairly straight forward then. If this doesn’t interest you then how about the Network+ and a Windows desktop cert to get started?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

What Sparky said.

The 70-680/70-685 pair might be a way to go with Microsoft. That gives you the EDST (Enterprise Desktop Support) certification. And I beleive the 680 also counts towards the Enterprise Administrator certification if you want to do that later...

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  7. gld998

gld998 New Member

You dont have a cert to get the foot in.... Just write what you do... Administrating your own sites for example is good enough for web admin position... be clear of what you wanna do... Jack of All trades and master of none wouldnt get you anywhere.... If you prefer Linux then go for Linux... Take RHCE instead MCITP... If you want Linux plus then go for it... Learn Apache and Websphere.... and be web admin...

8. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

...and now you will also receive the MCSA: Windows 7 certification.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...