Switch Problem!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rusty155, Jul 3, 2006.

1. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

I have 16 switches on the network here - 10 of which are 3com's which I have managed to find the IP addresses for and can get into them - the other 6 I have no idea about!

Is there a tool that will search the network and report back about any switches present and their IP addresses??!!

I have tried getting in to the switches via hyperterminal and the console port but without any success. I got the default com settings from the manual on the net but no joy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Charlie/

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could try doing a Tracert from one end of the network to the other on a PC that you know passes through one of the swithces.

Actually thinking about it that won't work as you're switching and not routing. :oops:

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There are discovery tools - but AFAIK they are very expensive.

If I needed to do it the hard way I'd first of all ident the 'unkown' switches (make and model), and try and work out which known switches they were connected to. Next you log onto those adjacent switches and look at the ARP table. The ether NIC prefix should match the make of the unknown switch to give you an IP for it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

ok - thanks guys managed to sort it!

Managed to get a connection through the console port - and to my joy they were all password protected!

No documentation left anywhere to suggest what the passwords might be so started the fun task of guessing!

Eventually managed to get in to them all!! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Pretty lucky considering I have to change the IP address range next month and all the switches are static! - Just glad I can change them now!!

WIP: A+