1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping Hard Drives

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mac70, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Mac70

Mac70 Bit Poster

For practising on I got an old desktop with 98 installed which works fine.I also got a tower off a mate but when I switch it on I get one long beep two short beeps and a black screen.
    That points to a bad video card I know but when I tried the hard drive from that machine it happened on the desktop too which tells me theres an HD problem.
    But what if I were to try putting the good HD into the tower?Do I run the risk of corrupting it?
    And,my PC has XP Home installed but Microsoft say their VM thing is for XP Pro.Will it not work on mine?If I do get it to work where would I find a freebie of Win 2000?
    Sorry for all the questions but my study is coming along nicely and I want to practice on all I can.:oops:

Certifications: Zilcho
    WIP: Considering MCDST
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Putting a working windows bootable HDD into another machine may confuse the installation beyond recovery. Or it may work after a lot of reboots.

You really need to find a spare drive! :biggrin

And bad drives can hang the computer bus, so it could be the reason behind the beeps.

I suggest you just remove the drive and try and reboot. A PC should be able to get into the BIOS at least even if no drives are attached.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+